I suggest a campaign about ...

Reject Marischal Square Development, Aberdeen

Aberdeen City Council, in association with Muse Developments and Aviva Investors, have duped the public in a sham public consultation for a new development in Aberdeen. It is opposite the most beautiful, largest granite building in the world, Marischal College. (Alhambra is the largest, but Marischal College is a stunning building.) The Council entered into a very risky financial contract, which includes a potential breach of State Aid regulations - public money to underwrite private profit. Thousands of protestors have taken part in a emailing campaign and protested on the streets.
A motion by the council opposition was defeated in a special meeting on 5th March, to suspend planning approval and have cross party talks talks about a compromise development.
We want -
To suspend planning approval and
Have cross party talks about a compromise development.

1,137 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Lorna McHattieLorna McHattie shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

118 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • william Skidmorewilliam Skidmore commented  · 

In the P&J on Friday 17th April, page 9, it was reported that the authors of the 'City Centre Masterplan' have said that there is also a requirement to protect and enhance "important views of the city's townscape, landmarks and features and features when seen from busy and important publicly assessable vantage points such as roads, recreation areas and pathways and particularly from the main city approaches." Seems Marischal College and Provost Skene's House doesn't qualify as landmarks. The council are desperate to hide them from public view with the Marischal Square development.

• Jennifer StewartJennifer Stewart commented  · 

Building dwarfs our beautiful Marischal College and hides Provost Skenes House.
        Much smaller building we have just got rid of the other monstrosity.

• william Skidmorewilliam Skidmore commented  · 

The controversy over the Union Terrace Gardens project and now the public fury over the Marischal Square development prove that this council administration is effectively deaf to public opinion, comment and appeal.

Come election time, the electorate should be equally deaf to the 22 councillors who will undoubtedly promise to represent them, the public, and their views if re-elected. If nothing can be done to reverse the decision to proceed with the over-development of Marischal Square, then the public should ensure that these 22 are not given another chance to Lord it over the electorate and make an even bigger mess than they already have.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I had no intention of being Anonymous. I just posted I was one of the many etc Kate Kelly

• Anonymous commented  · 

I was one of the many who sat in the Public Gallery at the the Town House in Aberdeen last Thursday . This was my first experience of Council process. Prior to the Town House meeting I had listened to a radio phone in which despite the presenters best efforts to encourage the Councillors to respond to listeners questions, about the Marischal Square development, the event descended into tribal politics. Nevertheless, I remained optimistic that that a formal meeting of the Councillors would be different. This was a wonderful opportunity to at least suspend planning approval to allow a space for cross party talks to take place with the developers. Sadly, much was made of consultation process having already taken place and that it was too late to stop and think about any compromise. This was nonsense. They could have demonstrated some respect for the people of Aberdeen, to at least meet with the developers to discuss whether any improvement could be made to proposal. What the Councillors failed to appreciate that for many people, it was only once the space that was revealed when Nicolas House was demolished, that people started to appreciate properly the huge potential that with some creative thought could be realized. Just walking around and seeing Marischal College lit up by the sun having previously been overshadowed and simply closing your eyes and imagining what could be, inspired people to be visionary and dare to think out of the box. The Labour Councillors demonstrate absolutely no vision. Their act is an act of cultural vandalism. They denied any opportunity for dialogue. This was a sad day for democracy in Aberdeen and demonstrated that the elected representatives who voted against the motion,are incapable of listening meaningfully to the people. They are also gamblers who are risking the taxpayers money and demonstrate no integrity

• BrainBrain commented  · 

I would like to see serious journalists do some digging on the personal finances of some of the councillors who bulldoze such contracts through. I can think of no motive other than financial gain for wanting to destroy our city. Corrupt local authority officials taking backhanders from from developers to get planning contracts is the oldest scam in the book.

• Anonymous commented  · 

At least hold final decision until after elections when, for sure, there'll be new councillor who hopefully will realise the feelings if those who live in the city

• A BlackhallA Blackhall commented  · 

Having been a labour party voter for almost 50 years, I was very disappointed to be excluded from the final session of the recent full council meeting at the behest of the labour and independent councillors, this was after an earlier exclusion while the councillors received legal advice, legal advice which was already in the public domain. I had the opportunity to ask councillor crocket why all the labour councillors were voting in what was a block vote and he stated it was because of it being a policy issue. This smacks of lemmings and the pied piper which should be confined to westminster politics, with local councillors representing the wishes of the local people and not tied to party lines. I felt that by being excluded was an affront to local democracy.During the part of the meeting we were allowed to attend, the labour councillors could easily have been mistaken for cardboard cutouts due to the lack of animation from them, not giving any of the presenters a courteous round of applause. Why should we replace what was accepted as an eyesore building with one that will probably assist the city in holding on to our recent carbuncle award and deprive the city of a magnificient civic square. An ex labour party voter.

• JudyJudy commented  · 

Who actually wants this? An open green space, with thoughtful, tastefully planned units such as cafe, gallery, allowing a view of the surrounding old granite buildings is what makes sense. PARTY POLITICS IRRELEVANT HERE. Aesthetics relevant. D'oh!!!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

Aberdeen doesn't need more grey concrete boxes - have we learned nothing from the one we just tore down? Where is the vision for an appealing city centre?

• Erik DalhuijsenErik Dalhuijsen commented  · 

Long term use, low energy, sustainable materials, public value: is that not what we would expect from the Council?

• Anonymous commented  · 

A chance to put beauty back into an all to often grey grey city. Or more concrete and glass fit to be torn down in a lifetime.

• bee kerrbee kerr commented  · 

This labour led council do not and will never listen to us the electorate, however, I totally reject the mariscial square development

• Gary EtherGary Ether commented  · 

The development that has been approved is a high-density monstrosity composed of glass boxes with no architectural merit and very little in the way of civic space. It is not in keeping with our historical and beautiful Marishal College and Provost Skene's House and it will obscure the potential views we could have of these buildings.

The financial arrangements put considerable downside risk on the council (i.e. the public) while the financier and developer have no risk whatsoever.

The whole concept of this development as approved is in the worst interests of the citizens of Aberdeen and will deprive the next generations of something wonderful they could have had in terms of heritage (not to mention the debt they may end up having to pay through their council tax).

• Sheena GrantSheena Grant commented  · 

The public are fed up of multi national chains and corporate tax dodgers making all of our cities look like carbon copies and what chance do small businesses have when rents are extortionate in these concrete and glass boxes! The people want a say in this.

• Anonymous commented  · 

hopefully it will be the first carbuncle to be rejected!

• Bob McLeodBob McLeod commented  · 

No confidence in this council. Pulling down one eyesore and replacing it with another suggests there is no imagination in the "professionals" running our city. What a great opportunity they've wasted.

• Bob_TBob_T commented  · 

The Marishal Square development is the next Carbuncle for Aberdeen.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Aberdeen does not need another eyesore but yet the stubborn council seem to ignore the peoples opinions. Enough empty shops and office space that could already be utilised more effectively

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base