I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop HMRC Selling Tax Payer Financial Data

The plan for HMRC to sell tax payer financial data has just been announced. I really think we need a Care.data style campaign - which was immediately successful in achieving a significant delay to those plans. There's an article here http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/18/hmrc-to-sell-taxpayers-data. These plans to sell so-called 'anonymised' data are really wrong!

22 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John J commented  · 

This issue is actually part of a wider problem in Britain. Governments seem to believe that they have a right to snoop on anything they like, and then pass the information around as they choose.

In this case, information supplied by taxpayers to HMRC is supplied only in compliance with the law, and only for the purpose of assessing tax liability. The information does not belong to the Government, and it is not theirs to sell. Their duty is to protect our private information under Data Protection laws, not try to make a profit out of it.

• Jonny Bradley commented  · 

I wouldn't mind if they made tax payment optional, but i don't think that's part of the plan.

This needs to be widely debated and discussed at least, if not stopped entirely.

• Linda Kehoe commented  · 

Its important to stop this government selling off our intimate private details for profit to every tom, dick & harry, I fully support this petition.

• William commented  · 

But the economy and employment and all else is on the up and up . . Isn't it ? Surely, then, there's no need for the Government to organise such a sale of acutely private financial data.

It is completely wrong to propose this sale and we should all resist it. I support this petition.

• Dave Oxford commented  · 

At least 4 million people submit their self-assessment returns online. HMRC seems to want even more of us to do this, presumably because it is more convenient and efficient for them.

Just think of the chaos that would ensue if everyone submitted their returns on paper. before the October deadline.

But I urge you NOT to do that, even if you feel it would teach them a valuable lesson about who is meant to be serving whom.

PS. Happy to sign up for the campaign.

• Catherine commented  · 

I agree. They need to convince us WHY they are drawing-up this plan; what good will it do versus what negative aspects could evolve.
        They cannot be allowed to sell-off private information without us being fully informed, and giving permission.

Feedback and Knowledge Base