I suggest a campaign about ...

Pancreatic Cancer (PC) - Research Funding and Awareness

PC is the 5th largest cancer killer in the UK yet it receives just 1% of the research funding. Over 8000 will be diagnosed this year alone - 20+ being diagnosed today! 5 year survival rates have not improved in over 40 years and still remain at just 3% - most sadly die within weeks of diagnosis.

PC charities in the UK would like to take these statistics to Parliament but in order to get our voices heard we need to get 100,000 signatures on an epetition (hosted by Maggie Watts - a widow to PC) by the 8 April 2014. The epetition currently has just over 33,000 signatures and can be found at http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/48389. Please could 38 degrees help us to reach 100,000 by the deadline. Obviously time is of the essence here so your vote to put this out there would be gratefully received.

Laura Dadds (also a widow to PC - my husband aged 44 died within 5 weeks of diagnosis!)

389 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

27 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • HealthyEnvironments commented  · 

I have a friend with pancreatic cancer. Can I please make one suggestion? Most people have now heard about the possible link between mobile phones and brain tumours, and the WHO IARC have classified the wireless signals as a possible human carcinogen. Many people now use wired headsets with their mobiles to keep them away from the brain. But I see so many people holding iPads, laptops and smartphones close to their abdomens or on their laps for hours at a time. Please consider holding these away from the body - on a table and not next to abdominal or reproductive organs - it may help to keep more people safe. We might be moving mobile devices away from the brain, but increasing the risk of other cancers in the chest/abdomen and reproductive organs.

• Trevor Baker commented  · 

Lost my wife, aged just 45, to this. It doesn't discriminate against age.Please sign and share with your friends.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Pancreatic Cancer needs more funding more research too many needless deaths

• Lorna Taylor commented  · 

Lost my darling sister to this horrendous cancer.

• Cathy McKeown commented  · 

My step Dad died in 2011 - 5 months after diagnosis. We need to help Maggie get her 100,000 signatures so this issue can be debated in Parliament

• Anonymous commented  · 

I lost a sister with this horrible disease

• Anonymous commented  · 

Only takes a couple of seconds to do this.

• Jackie Lewis commented  · 

Many of my new and old friends have been affected by Pancreatic Cancer something needs to be done please sign their e-petition they have worked so hard to get this far with it. They must not fail at this late stage. Jackie

• Sandra Francis commented  · 

I am also a PC widow. My husband was just 70 and died one year after diagnosis. I miss him so much. Please sign and sign the epetition and share it too. You just might save a life.

• Anonymous commented  · 

my dad died of PC on 11th Feb 2014. He was a late diagnosis and survived just 6 months. He was an avid supporter of the epetition and it would be a fitting tribute to him to see it pass 100,000 signatures.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I'm signing this for the inspirational Maggie Watts

• Anonymous commented  · 

My husband died of PC just 21 days after diagnosis

• Anonymous commented  · 

My mum like so many others seemed healthy, 5 months after diagnosis she had died. She had no real chance of surviving, but if we pull together then maybe others will

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please help Maggie, this is such a worthwhile cause.

• Amanda New commented  · 

I lost my mum within 7 weeks , the third member of my family to succomb to this " silent killet". Please help Maggie. She speaks for all of us.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base