I suggest a campaign about ...

The Daily Mail is racist: let's boycott its advertisers

During the second half of August, let's write to advertisers of the Daily Mail telling them you are boycotting their product/service because the Mail is racist.

Because letters speak louder than tweets.

The letter is the important bit because this boycott is not silent. Sample letter text below. Format and/or edit at will - and if you like this campaign, please tickle the Vote button with your mouse!

Related FB campaign: http://www.facebook.com/events/408980989150594/

-----------

I am boycotting XXXXXXXXX because you advertise with a newspaper that wears intolerance and bigotry on its sleeve.

The Daily Mail has surpassed itself during the Olympics, branding numerous athletes, including Mo Farah, as “plastic Brits” because of their birthplace ('Team GB have 61 'plastic Brits' taking part in London Olympics', Des Kelly, 9 March 2012), and branding an “educated white middle-aged mother and black father living together” as non-English tokenism ('The NHS did not deserve to be so disgracefully glorified', Rick Dewsbury, 28 July 2012).

The Mail also seems to think racism is something you’re born with ('Racism is 'hardwired' into the human brain', Rob Waugh, 26 June 2012), an article reminiscent of Everyone's a little bit racist - but it's not our fault, Ted Thornhill, 30 Sept 2011. The Daily Mail also printed an offensive understatement that the Nazi slogan ‘Arbeit macht frei’ is “somewhat tainted” because of the concentration camps ('Why our new legions of unemployed graduates need to adjust their expectations', Dominique Jackson, 4 July 2012).

You may not endorse these views, but brands live by association (Coca Cola & Christmas) so I cannot help but associate your brand with blatant xenophobia and racism because you carry advertising in a xenophobic and racist publication.

I would be interested in why you think your Mail advertising is valuable to you because, of course, it’s not just the race-based bigotry. There are the constant health scares including “scientific” studies about cancer which are not scientific at all and their wilfully dangerous reporting on the MMR vaccine, their disturbing habit of printing paparazzi shots of children describing how adult their dress looks, lashings of homophobia (remember Gately?), and lots of crowing over ‘undesirable’ murder victims (“The deaths of these five women is no great loss...”, Richard Littlejohn, 2006).

I shall not spend my money with you until your advertising links with the Daily Mail are severed.

Yours sincerely,

40 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Fat RolandFat Roland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • SteSte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some of the coverage about the Olympic opening ceremony was blatantly racist and offensive.

Feedback and Knowledge Base