I suggest a campaign about ...

Re-impose sanctions on Burma until massacres of and denial of citizenship to ethnic minorities like Rohingya and Kachin is ended

Sanctions on Burma / Myanmar were lifted after the military released Aung San Suu Kyi from house arrest and allowed elections, which she and her party won.

However massacres of ethnic minorities including Muslim Rohingya and Christian Kachin by the military continue - and the military continues to claim Rohingya are "not Burmese" but "Bangladeshis", foreigners or immigrants, despite Rohingya having lived in Burma for between decades and centuries according to the UN and Human Rights Watch. Aung San Suu Kyi, when asked about the Rohingya said she was "not sure" whether they were Burmese and many of her supporters repeat the military's line that Rohingya aren't Burmese and must leave Burma.

Even before the massacres the military denied Rohingya citizenship, forced them out of their homes and used them as forced labour building homes for supposedly "pure Burmese" ethnic groups.

A country which denies the most basic rights to its ethnic minorities is not a democracy - and the military continues it's strategy of dividing Burmese on ethnic grounds to conquer them.

Sanctions on Burma should be re-imposed until massacres and military offensives against Rohingya, Kachin and other minorities are ended and full citizenship and rights are granted in law and in practice to those people.

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Duncan McFarlaneDuncan McFarlane shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...