I suggest a campaign about ...

Please can we set up a campaign to ban the sale of Chinese Lanterns? The dangers they pose to our wildlife are immense

Chinese Lanterns pose a real threat to our wildlife and countryside, the flight and landing path cannot be controlled, they often come down still burning and land on innocent creatures, burning them to death or injuring them horribly.

41 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sheila VanlooSheila Vanloo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GeorgeGeorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want a country were not everything is bannd and we have free will.
        I live in the Country and live on the flight path of many of these lanterns and have found loads.
        Not found one yet that has killed or damaged anything.
        But in Summer near any bit of spare park land I see young people mainly students leaving beer bottle and rubbish in parks.
        When asked to pick them up you get abuse from educated people!
        More people get killed by Motorbikes in one day than ever killed by these lanterns. Lets ban motorbikes instead.
        Most cyclists dont stop at red lights.
        A number of people have been killed by cyclists.
        Lets ban bikes.
        Do you get were I am coming from? look at the real problems in this country rather than banning every single thing that could have or might creat a problem.
        Fracking would be a good one to start with.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lanterns are lovely and to some they mean something. However, they are effecting our wildlife. A lot of our birds are being killed due to these lanterns. Please, please,please. could you stop selling them. thank you

• Krissie MorrissKrissie Morriss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pretty as these lanterns are you cannot ignore the dangers they pose not just to us but to all the wildlife too!

• GayleGayle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These lanterns are becoming a real pest. a danger to wild life and a fire risk.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We had one land on our carport roof which could have caught alight. They are really dangerous on farmland to both animals and humans as well as mangling machinery with horrible wires.

• Chris PotterChris Potter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They can also get eaten by sheep and cattle, who can get the wires or bamboo lodged in their throat or digestive tract. They generate many false alarms for our emergency service and are especially dangerous in built up areas, where circulating winds can force them to the ground. BAN THEM......

• Colin WilliamsColin Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's usually only after something really terrible happens that people start to take notice... Surely it's better not to wait for a moor/wood fire or an aeroplane engine to fail as one gets pulled through it... ?

Feedback and Knowledge Base