I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop Michael Gove scrapping GCSEs

Gove's proposed reversion to a two tier system of qualifications ('O' Level style for the academically able and CSE style for others) will leave a generation of children marked as second class achievers. If the exam system is to be changed, a full review with well defined goals should be undertaken in consultation with teachers. Changes based on one minister's anachronistic whims are not acceptable.

93 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't they just make current GCSE exams harder? It seems to me this policy has much to do with the trend in the last decade that all students mus have A grades in exam X. Yes employers need to better differenciate between grades of applicants, but that can just as easily be done with students having a greater range of scores in the same exam, split into two exams. Not to mention another change in exam names will further confuse employers AND further complicate managing multiple syllabuses. Please lets have some common sense on this!

This is a real serious issue. With Goves proposals it could make education meaningless for thousands of children.

• Caroline De SouzaCaroline De Souza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Raising standards I'm fine with, but do it by investing in the teachers, the schools and teaching the right subjects in the right way- changing the exam system makes no sense to me what so ever. GCSE's are fine as they, and a much fairer exam too. Gove seems to have made the decision and thats it- I didnt vote for a change in exams and many other of the govermments crazy ideas for change. There are so many other more important things to focus on!!

The educational and social implications of this are massive. Publicising this in the right way could be a big vote loser for the Tories. Lets do all we can to get this idiot out of office!

Luckily my daughter will not be affected by this change. However as a product of the dual education system I oppose a move to try and reinstate it.Improve the current situation, not spend loads of money going backwards..it's madness!!

• Sheila Swanson.Sheila Swanson. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that 38 Degrees should support this suggestion. The Conservatives removed the dual qualification and now want to return to it. GCSE examinations are graded and need to be more
        rigorously graded so that an 'A' means 'A'. Fine tune don't remove entirely.

• Dorene McCormackDorene McCormack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is understandably strong opposition to Gove's proposed changes to the GCSE system. There should be one united campaign against the damages former journalist Gove is causing to our education system in many areas.

• Clare RobertsClare Roberts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please can 38 degrees put together all the votes for various campaigns against Michael Gove and his reforms, in fact even all the campaigns re Education. Counted all together these campaign suggestions have many common themes and lots of votes. Now that 38 degrees has made itself heard on the NHS debate, it is important to act now on Education.

• Andy OakleyAndy Oakley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was at school during the O level CSE years and all it did was convince me I was stupid as I was only permitted to take one O level. Employers never accepted a grade 1 CSE as equivalent to O level C. I now have a first class honours degree in molecular biology. I have been teaching science for 7 years now and I've seen the GCSE change three times! Just when you get used to one way of assessment and content the government changes it. I'm completey bored with MPs changing something they know little about and nearly always for the worse. Yes make the the GCSEs harder the step up to A level is too great but don't go back to a totally two tier system where students feel that they are lablled as under achievers from year 10 onwards.

Feedback and Knowledge Base