I suggest a campaign about ...

The Energy Bill is shredding the UK's climate targets - we need a renewable industrial revolution, not an easy ride for gas and coal power

It is becoming clear that the government's new Energy Bill is placing a huge emphasis on protecting gas and coal power rather than taking the tough stance needed for the UK to live up to its responsibility to take action on climate change. The bill:
- Allow gas power plants build today to emit up to 450g of carbon per unit of electricity until 2045 - despite the government's Committee on Climate Change saying electricity to emit only 50g of carbon per unit in 2045 to meet our climate targets
- Makes no long-term commitment to reduce the amount of carbon emitted by power stations
- Allows any power station to be built as long as it captures and stores carbon - without specifying how much carbon it stores. This means new coal stations can be built as long as they extract and sequester a token amount of carbon.
- Includes a clause permitting the Secretary of State to exempt new power stations from the rules "to maintain energy security" - without specifying when this condition is met.

304 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TomTom shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • P F PerkinP F Perkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope then, you will support my Proposal for Cheap Clean Energy. I'm sure you will be over joyed after you have read it..

Best wishes, Paul.

• CarolIvyCarolIvy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't support you on this one! The so-called 'vital targets' are just the way to make this country even poorer and ill-equipped to create our own wealth by hobbling industry with even higher fuel prices and penalties. Grow up - the rest of the world isn't doing any more than cheering us on from the sidelines. If we were the economic and industrial size of the USA, or China, or India or even the former Soviet Union, we could make a small contribution in reducing world emissions. But we are tiny - our contribution will be insignificant - but our future prosperity would be massively disadvantaged. The Taliban must be laughing into their beards. We will be the authors of our own demise as a country, people or voice.

Don't go down this mis-guided route!

Carol

• nikkinomadnikkinomad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How is it your talking about the Energy Bill and you dont mention Nuclear? The reason this bill will block any renewable revolution is because it is about maintaning more of the same centralised energy that is fossil and nuclear. However, this Bill is particularly about paving the way for new nuclear so I cant believe that you haven't even mentioned this issue. Why do you think that there are no long term committments to reduce carbon from power stations? because the bill isnt really about reducing carbon its about promoting industry interests! I'm sorry but I really think that when people dont even mention the Nuclear word when talking about legislation that is predominantly being brought in to pave the way for nuclear, that they are in danger of being dogmatic and any analysis that is put forward is inherantly skewed if you don't even mention all of the issues relating to the bill.
        the contracts for difference that the government and the industry are working on will tie ALL FUTURE GOVERNMENTS INTO THIS GOVERNMENTS ENERGY POLICY. The implication of this is that this is a policy that could bankrupt UK taxpayers over the next sixty years and then leave my grandchildren witrh a toxic legacy that no one can handle. People it's time to wake up and smell the bullshit! Right now the government are working on passing the contracts for difference into law under the auspicies of this energy act. This ACT will favour nuclear and all the rest of the fossil fuel based centrally controlled energy streams instead of facilitating a move to renewables. The nuclear industry always has and always will undermine renewable technologies because renewable technologies give us some degree of autonomy whereas nuclear and fossils keep us dependent on the government and the military. Frack off recognise that fracking and nuclear as well as Tarr sands are all extreme energy solutions that are essentially the powerful elites scraping the bottom of the energy barrel. It's time to say no to new nuclear.

Please join the campaign to stop new nuclear http://stopnewnuclear.org.uk/ and help 38 degrees get on board with this issue. Petition against new nuclear in the UK http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/1035
        We want a future not a disaster.

• ClaireClaire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Morriarty, I agree that nuclear research should be focussing in on Thorium, resurrecting the old pre-cold-war work, rather than dragging out Uranium or dreaming of fusion.

As for the Energy Bill, we need to show massive support for Ed Davey and the Committee on Climate Change, make sense speak louder than money for once, and expose George Osborne as the fossil-greedy fool he is. The energy markets are heavily rigged towards destruction as long as the oil and gas lobby has a grip on the treasury.

How can we bring more MPs on board to champion a renewables revolution as the Energy Bill debate goes forward?

• MorriartyMorriarty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need to be developing molten salt thorium reactors NOW! This is a clean and safe form of nuclear power developed in the '60's but was shelved because this type of reactor doesn't produce weapons grade plutonium. The nuclear industry needs to wake up to the fact that climate change is now a huge threat to humanity and the cold war is over.

• KristinaKristina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a great idea for a campaign - nice work Tom! The popularity of the Big Switch recently shows how many households are feeling the squeeze of rising gas and electricity costs. Not only would investing in renewables reduce energy costs massively in the long-term, it would also protect energy users from sudden shocks and fluctuations in fossil fuel prices, which are only going to increase in frequency and severity in the future (see DECC report: http://www.decc.gov.uk/assets/decc/11/tackling-climate-change/international-climate-change/5276-fossil-fuel-price-shocks-and-a-low-carbon-economy-.pdf)

A recent consumer poll by uSwitch.com suggests that household energy will be unaffordable by 2015, with average annual bills set to hit £1500. Investing in a low carbon future isn't just about emissions reductions (although this is undeniably important), it's about ensuring people don't sink into energy poverty. And it's definitely politically possible - just look at Scotland. 11,000 jobs created and over 30% of the country's energy needs already being met by renewables.

• ScreaminkidScreaminkid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We knew the Tories lacked a GREEN heart! They wikeep their lush country estates gated while the rest of us will live in a grim landscape crippled and torn by Multinats in search of coal& gas?
        Don't let them hijack the RENEWABLE AGENDA!

• TomTom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also important to note that this bill will lock us into gas-powered electricity for years to come. The rising price of gas has pushed many people into fuel poverty in recent years. It is essential that we start the transition to renewable energy now. A renewable energy economy, in the long-term, will be far far cheaper than relying on gas which is getting more and more expensive and unreliable.

Feedback and Knowledge Base