I suggest a campaign about ...

Stopping DEFRA plans to destroy Buzzard nests and capturing Buzzards. Full details in the BBC article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/scienc

91 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dawn MarshallDawn Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since when did Buzzards take pheasant! They just don't. - They dig for worms and I understand they are quite partial to carrion. But sadly the ones who nested in my mini-wood are not there this year and there are alarmingly few over the village. Himself and I were discussing it just the other day. So defra - hands off our buzzzards please.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the utility of legal protection if it possible to sanction, without public debate, such a measure for the benefit of what is simply sport for the privileged to the detriment of a natural and increasingly fragile ecosystem? Were ecologists involved in the decision making? How was each stage of this process justified? Is there any expert out there who would take this on and walk us through the steps that could lead to such an action being passed on the quiet?

Anecdote, I know, but one of the joys of spring is buzzards calling to each other over our village - silence this year. Pheasants abound.

• Dom KSDom KS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I lived in an area with two buzzards, graceful birds, it was a pleasure to watch them. Pheasants by and large are a nuisance and I can almost guarantee that far far more are killed walking in front of cars in 1 year than by buzzards in a decade.

• Steve N.CSteve N.C commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Culling buzzards - unbelievable? Well no, not really... this 'Government' Department is yet again pandering to the wealthy UK elite which incorporates the Countryside Alliance, Large Estate Managers, Gamekeepers and anyone with vested corporate interests, a thirst for blood and an antiquated hunt mentality. The countryside is fast becoming the domain of the rich - so they will obviously want to lobby Government to protect their interests - at any expense.
        How can DEFRA target just buzzards anyhow? We have a multitude of birds of prey in this country - so where does this control stop?? I totally object to this obscene proposal and will do my utmost to make this plan as public as possible and subsequently stop it in it's tracks!

• Phil MurrayPhil Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a similar request (type Buzzard into search to find it). I have voted for this one but we need to combine the two somehow or else we will be splitting the vote.

Feedback and Knowledge Base