I suggest a campaign about ...

Changes to Pension Credit if you have a younger partner

This change is due to come into effect in April 2013 and is being quietly introduced I would like people contact their MP’s as very few of them have any knowledge of this change.
If in a couple there is a younger partner then both partners must wait until they have both reached the qualifing age for Pension Credit
There is a disproportional amount of “extra years” a person of Pensionable Age will have to serve until the pension age between men and women have equalised.
Example
If the Pension age is at 66 years for both men and women –Older person 66 years old with partner person 3 years younger – older person must wait until they reach 69 – waiting time 3 years.
Equal to the difference in age between the ages of the couple
BUT
At the moment Pensionable Age is rising to equalise both men and women at 66 by 2018. This creates in the above case an additional 4 ¼ years waiting period
Difference between ages 3 years – extra years to Pension Qualifying Age 7 ¼ years.

Both partners will be classed as “Working Age” within UC and the partner who has reached the qualifing age for PC will lose any pension related benefits
Income losses are between £112 - £140 per week
At the moment Capital limits are different for the Working Age claimants and PC claimants.
At the moment it is unknown how conditionality and sanctions will effect the older partner
If this comes into force April 2013, anyone over pensionable age who wishes to work (on low income) will be eligable for WTC and will therefore have conditionality under both systems - WTC and UC

2 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...