I suggest a campaign about ...

38 Degrees to support those doctors who intend to stand at the next General Election

It was announced yesterday (18th March) that some doctors are considering standing against coalition MPs at the next election to right the wrongs currently being inflicted on the NHS. My Campaign would be for 38 Degrees to identify doctors intending to stand, and with their permission e-mail all 38 Degree members in their intended constituency with the objective of drawing local 38 Degree member support to build a local constituency structure (for leafleting, door knocking etc) to help them win the seat. Also to generate local publicity to ensure the constituency electorate and their sitting MP know his/her seat is under threat from a large group of local campaigning individuals.

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NeilNeil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The spending limit for a campaign per MP is £10-12,000 for immediate pre-election expenses, and £25-30,000 in the preceding 4 months. The same money raised for the posters could support quite afew campaigns, and three years gives time to raise a serious "war chest"

As David Owen stated, the NHS Bill is a consitutional outrage. Only by reclaiming politics can it be reversed. Don't expect Labour to do so, they started the process.

38 Degrees can provide the finance, national coverage and on the ground campaigners they need to win. But there should be some assurances that :

(a) Other than from their existing employment, they may not accept any income in cash or kind from any corporation, nor more than £1000 from any individual. Co-operatives, unions, clubs 38 Degrees etc. may collect on the candidates behalf, but may not contribute from their own funds (such as membership subscriptions).
        (b) Any shares they hold must be declared and held in trust.
        (c) Unlikely for a doctor but just incase.. that their manifesto isn’t illegal, extremist, racist, offensive etc. (as determined by the 38 Degrees team).

We should also welcome any Lib Dem willing to leave their sinking ship.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Getting behind a prospective doctor MP in a coalition constiuency would send a message that there is serious political work afoot to right the wrongs being inflicted on the NHS.

Feedback and Knowledge Base