I suggest a campaign about ...

A campaign to support the Chagos Islanders exiled from their homes by UK Government.

The Islanders need our help. They were removed by force, trickery and deceit by UK to clear their islands of all human inhabitants so USA could build Diego Garcia military base. These islanders are denied any right of return. The UK Government has used the royal perogative in council to ignore a High Court decsion in favour of the islanders. They have taken every peaceful path to win their case. If we believe in human rights then this is the case on our own doorstep where such rights have been denied a peaceful people. A people descended from French slaves who looked upon the UK as a protector. The Falkland Islanders enjoy the rights that these Chagossians should enjoy. Why are black people denied the same rights as white islanders? How can so few people be a threat to the USA and UK by their return to their islands. They need to go home and received full compensation and resettlement costs. Those who were removed are now dying and being buried abroad. Let the members of 38Degrees show the UK Government that we will not forget or ignore these people's rights.

293 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Leslie Ian JonesLeslie Ian Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kim VignitchoukKim Vignitchouk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is so wrong. these people were robbed of their land, of their basic human rights. This is a crime against humanity. They should return to their land.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

40 years fighting for their sea , Sand , and Sun Chagossians say STOP. Colonization over. Let them return in the name of humanity.
        Antonio.C.

• Gavin ShortGavin Short commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that the Chagossians were treated pretty shabbily and the next British government should expeditiously work towards allowing those that wish, to return to their Islands. As a Falkland Islander I enjoy the right of self determination so it is only right and proper that those same rights should cover the Chagossians as well.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is high time that this historically injustice was righted by the UK government, the British have a duty of care as the colonial authority under the UN charter on human rights. The treatment of the Chagossians compared to inhabitants Gibraltar or the Falkland islands is appalling. I want my government to acknowledge its crimes against these British subjects. Give these people and their dependents the right of return no matter what the cost because the present situation wasn’t of their making.

It is absolutely shameful that Britain did this to these wonderful people in the first place, then to collude with the US and then to not allow them to go home...it's shocking. Lindis Percy Joint Coordinator CAMPAIGN FOR THE ACCOUNTABILITY OF AMERICAN BASES - CAAB www.caab.org.uk also on Facebook and Twitter @C_A_A_B

• John MadeleyJohn Madeley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a real injustice involved here. Please launch a campaign.
        I am the author of the MRG report: Diego Garcia, Contrast to the Falllands

• Peter HeinePeter Heine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a historic wrong that needs addressing. It also fits in with the ethos of 38 degrees, Please support this.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a much neglected cause. These Islanders have had high court rulings in their favour. Finally, after a further government appeal,the matter came before five Law Lords who ruled against them by a majority of three to two.

• Peri BatliwalaPeri Batliwala commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is a continuing shame to us all that this injustice continues to be pushed to the back of each government's agenda. It won't go away and can so easily be put right. It breaks my heart that the elders who wish to return to their homes on the Chagos islands have to die here in enforced exile. Time to get this matter sorted and right a wrong.

• Michael GreenMichael Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The expulsion of these people from their homeland by the British Government is one of the most cruel and deplorable actions of "perfidious Albion" (and there is a very long list to choose from!).

• Sarah MumfordSarah Mumford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amoral how, now, when Human Rights is the guidance in all decisions that UK and USA still ignore their wrongs to these islanders.

Leslie Ian Jones, your request for votes for a Chagossian campaign has been posted on the UK Chagossian Support Association. Could you follow it up in the group and comment on the number of votes as they come in?

The UK Government of the day ordered the gassing of the pet dogs and the expulsion of the entire Chagossian population. The current UK Government continues to ignore the human rights of the exiles by refusing their right to return to their homeland, so much for the British sense of justice.

• YouYou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Return the land to its rightful owners!! And if you (US & UK) insist that it is "inhospitable" for people to live in, then return the soldiers stationed there to their homes or to other places and return the Chagosians to the lands they know how to cultivate and live on better than you (US & UK).

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base