I suggest a campaign about ...

A ban on fees charged by property letting agents to tenants. All profits agents aquire should come from the landlords who are their clients.

A ban on fees charged by property letting agents to tenants. All profits agents aquire should come from the landlords who are their clients.
Fees are currently charged to prospective, AND renewing tenants in order to secure a tenancy. Sometimes these can be in excess of £300 for new tenants. On top of this they must also pay a deposit, equal to a months rent plus £100, AND the whole of the first month's rent up front.

So in order to secure a tenancy, prospective tenants can pay in excess of £1000 up front.

Often, paying these fees doesn't even secure the tenancy, because the prospective tenants can still fail the employment, bank and previous landlord reference checks which these so called "fees" are supposed to cover.

I propose that these fees are a scam, and that a letting agent must make its money solely from a percentage of the rent collected from tenants.

8 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sam StocksSam Stocks shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...