I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop a private company extending a landfill site by 12 years.

A landfill site in Warrington has already operated for more than 20 years and has caused significant misery and upset.

It is located in the centre of Warrington within 500 meters of residential properties. Much of the local waste is recycled and what is left accounts for very little of the waste that goes into the site. Hundreds of thousands of tonnes a year are dumped from elsewhere in the world.

Warrington plans to cleanly incinerate its small quantity of waste and not use damaging landfill after 2013.

The site is close to residential properties and the hundreds of smelly HGV waste trucks travel through residential estates to get to the site.

People have suffered with smells, flies, fumes, traffic conjestion, vibration, birds, dropped rubbish, muddy roads, damage to properties and damage to vehicles for decades.

The site causes environmental damage which include dioxin emissions.

Help us stop the plans to continue its operation. Which would result in the site going closer to properties, the existing seals being opened up so the height can be increased by 20 meters.

116 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John Boyle John Boyle shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NicholasNicholas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't want Landfill Waste in Warrington. It smells and the roads are always dirty with rubbish and muddy sludge. I also don't think it is safe for kids to go on the roads near to these trucks as they are dangerous and drive too fast. The birds or seagulls fly over our homes in their thousands.
        erm...nice? No!

• cllr pat wrightcllr pat wright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We do not Warrington to become the dumping ground of the Northwest. Residents have for to long put up with HGV waste traffic, smells, flies and dirty roads. We don't want the life of the Lanfill extended to 2025!!!!!!

• AharperAharper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Warrington's Arpley landfill site has been a blight on the Warrington community for too long, causing distress and health and safety risks to residents. Under Warrington Borough Council's own waste plans it does not intend to continue use of Arpley but find better ways of dealing with it's waste, therefore Arpley will not be of any local benefit just disbenefit for the people of Warrington. The proposal to extend it's use for another 12 years only lines the pockets of it's owners and shareholders.

• John Boyle John Boyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This landfill causes so much pain, suffering and disruption to people in warrington it cannot be explained.

Councillors, the council or people do not want or need the private run dump.

Let Warrington dispose of its small amount of waste in an more environmentally way like it intends to.

• Mr CromptonMr Crompton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi I'm a Warrington resident and knowing this site has been operating for over 20 years, I believe it is time for this site to close.
        I hope our Councillors and MP David Mowat will support this and end Warrington's Arpley Landfill Site. We have incinerators which are in service nearby, why can't we recycle our waste and what is non-recyclable have incinerated?
        Our Government is promoting the reduction in Landfill Waste across the UK, so here is an opportunity to show its commitment to this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base