I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban the use of snares in England

I work in a wildlife hospital & we deal with wild animals with horrific injuries after being caught in snares. We have many photos to prove the damage done by these inhumane cheese-wires. Domestic pets have also been severely injured by snares.
A ban on their use is long overdue.

4,393 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Caroline GouldCaroline Gould shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

533 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Caroline GouldCaroline Gould commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@val cane. Yes, free-running snares are legal & very widely used throughout the countryside. Some illegal snares (self-locking) are used but the vast majority are perfectly legal snares which can be bought for about one pound from many outlets & internet sites. Thousands & thousands are in use daily throughout the UK.

• Becky BackhouseBecky Backhouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a barbaric and immensley cruel way of catching animals and a lot of pain and suffering is caused which I have seen first hand from working at an animal sanctuary. We are supposed to be protecting wild animals, not killing them. Ban them immediately!

• val caneval cane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a medieval disgrace. Are they not illegal in England? I've recently signed a petition to ban them in Scotland, and I inferred that this was because they were still legal there but not in England and Wales. But maybe Scotland is planning to be more forward-looking than E and W, not for the first time!

Worth chasing your MP? Even Tory ones - in town anyway! (like Brighton) - are often sound on animal welfare.But someone please let me know if they are legal first.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There can be NO justification whatsoever for the barbaric use of snares, they should not only be banned, but also a criminal act for any person found using/possessing one.

• Wendé Anne MaunderWendé Anne Maunder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bill Oddie did a programme about snares recently so you might go to his website. Also Brian May is opposed to them and he always replies to his emails on his website. You might try Chris Packham, although some of his actions have discredited him in certain sectors.

• Caroline GouldCaroline Gould commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Money4Monopoly - thanks for your support. The votes are slowing down now unfortunately - any ideas of how to promote it & get more votes anyone? As you say, we need some big-name endorsements.

• Money4MonopolyMoney4Monopoly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Susan Barnes - or maybe just snare an investment banker - I have no doubt that there will be lots of people shouting "pull it tighter!" :)

• Susan BarnesSusan Barnes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't know what to say - it is so obvious that they should be banned - I guess someone needs to come up with an economic argument for banning them since that is all the majority and the government seem to care about. Maybe "expensive pets could get snared and that may harm the wellbeing of some investment bankers ......" Snares are immoral.

i am a veterinary nurse student and in practice i have seen snare injuries to wild animals that have left the animal in severe pain and have mutilated them but not killed them.Snares are inhuman and should definatly be banned!

• Money4MonopolyMoney4Monopoly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok! So many comments on this so how about a Campaign of: "DARE YOU TO BAN THE SNARE IF YOU CARE". Target all the Pet Food manufacturers, Vets, Animal Hospitals, Wildlife sanctuaries, High Profile Celebs (Paul O'Grady et. al.) and get their endorsement on the ban????

BAN SNARES WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT, THEY CAUSE UNBEARABLE SUFFERING AND DISTRESS.............STOP THEM NOW

• John CrowtherJohn Crowther commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Snares are barbaric and cause untold suffering. They have no place in a so-called civilized society.

Feedback and Knowledge Base