I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban the use of snares in England

I work in a wildlife hospital & we deal with wild animals with horrific injuries after being caught in snares. We have many photos to prove the damage done by these inhumane cheese-wires. Domestic pets have also been severely injured by snares.
A ban on their use is long overdue.

4,399 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Caroline Gould shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

534 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Janet Page commented  · 

I'm shocked that snares are not already illegal. They are an unnecessarily cruel form of animal control. A ban is a no-brainer

• Anonymous commented  · 

Unfotunately the only Badgers we ever get to see are dead ones so these snares must be banned,so that we can save these beautiful creatures.Its bad enough they are talking of culling them because of TB without being cruel with these snares.

• Molly Porter commented  · 

I agree that snares should be banned and hope this campaign suggestion will gather momentum.

• Toni Bunnell commented  · 

Please change this law that allows such appalling cruelty to wild animals.

• Wendy Saville commented  · 

I'm shocked to discover that snares are not already illegal! I strongly support this campaign and urge 38 degrees to take it up - given the success of previous campaigns such as saving our forests!

• Anonymous commented  · 

Please lets ban all snare traps. There is no need to cause such inhumane suffering. This poor badger must have had a very painful, frightening and lonely death..it is unforgivable

• Vicky Greenwood commented  · 

I FULLY AGREE TO THE BAN OF ALL SNARE TRAPS HOW SOMETHING THAT CAN CAUSE SUCH DISTRESS, PAIN AND SUFFERING CAN BE LEGAL I DO NOT KNOW - THE SOON THEY ARE BANNED THE BETTER

• Brian Powell commented  · 

I did not know the use something so barbaric and so archaic still existed. Or am I just a townie who does not understand the ways of the countryside?

• Derek Peacey commented  · 

Snares are this countries equivalent of land mines. Disgusting and inhumane on every level!!! BAN THEN

• Anonymous commented  · 

I totally agree with the ban. Even if they were checked every 24 hours I would still disagree with there use, and we know that this is not the case. It is inhumane and cruel.

Lindsey, Nottinghamshire

• Anonymous commented  · 

This disgusting cruelty must be stopped. Any person who could bring themselves to inflict on defenceless little wild animals such appalling pain and lingering death is quite frankly diabolical and beyond the bounds of decency. We should be kind to the animals they are our fellows in life's journey in the world

• Anonymous commented  · 

Some snares have been made illegal in this country since the 1970's. They inflict horrific pains to the animals who try to unsnare themselves thus causing even more wounds, some will try to eat the limb off their body to free themselves. 70% of animals killed in snares are not the intended target.
        Britain is supposed to be a country of animal lovers. All snares should be BANNED.

• Diane Scotland commented  · 

ABSOLUTE DISGRACE !!!! we are supposed to protect our wildlife not cause harm, we all have to remember, the wild animals claimed the territory long before us !!!!

• Freda Farrell commented  · 

Please add my name to the ban to the use of snares

• Anonymous commented  · 

I thought snares were already illegal, if they are not they should be banned immediately.

• Jayne Bache commented  · 

The use of snares is totally unnecessary and should be banned at once. It should be illegal to buy, sell or set a snare.

• Anonymous commented  · 

We definitely need to ban these snares immediatley.

Julie Smith, Tewkesbury

Feedback and Knowledge Base