I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban the use of snares in England

I work in a wildlife hospital & we deal with wild animals with horrific injuries after being caught in snares. We have many photos to prove the damage done by these inhumane cheese-wires. Domestic pets have also been severely injured by snares.
A ban on their use is long overdue.

4,393 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Caroline GouldCaroline Gould shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

533 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dalila Garcia FearnDalila Garcia Fearn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

your photos say it all, how anyone can think this is a way to behave, needs serious psychiatric help, to injure an animal in such a barbaric way is very disturbing and as its an animal today, tomorrow could be a child, the humane thing to do is a total ban.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I thought that snares were illegal .Were are the RSPCA? nowhere as usual and we contribute to these organisations? AS to the comment about cats , grow up! I am no cat lover but how do you control cats? They kill birds, small mammals , harmless snakes and other wildlife.

• Ann IrvingAnn Irving commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Snares are barbaric ways to control unwanted wildlife as they function indiscriminately and trap other animals. They are yet another way that mankind fails to respond appropriately to the natural world. Our society is descending back into killing its way trhough life. Please try to get them banned.

Alas sometimes snares are the only way to control pests. I know of someone who had a large pond in which he kept fish and the surrounding habitat provided a safe environment for loacl wildlfe. He found the corpses of both his fish and some small animals regularly and frequently. Despite his appeals to his neighbours for some support in this matter he said it was only when he started setting snares that the problem stopped after he caught and humanely drowned 4 local cats. The owners were neighbours, not the king I'd want, and obviously did not care for their animals and allowed them to roam anywhere. These people disgust me and have no concern for the damage and distress their so called pets cause.

• Brenda Brenda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ban the snares, I think they are absolutely vile and cruel. People who set snares should experience being caught in one and suffering the hideious agonising pain that innocent wildlife have to put up with every day, even other creatures such as pheasants, deer, hedgehogs, badgers and domestic cats have been left dying for days, and some have been hung. If plenty of people signed this petition there would be adequate support to send to parliament to ban this barbaric practice that needs to end NOW!

snares are a waste off time and cause a lot of pain to earths creatures. one of my neighbours had two snares in his garden and it nearly had one of my foster carers cats. luckely the snare got stuck and she was ok. I don't understand why he had it we do not have foxes or anything like that. He is just hurtful and lonely. BAN SNARES

• MoiraMoira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My neighbours have set fox snares at the bottom of my garden on their land to protect their chickens. They havn't even got the proper fox proof chicken wire, only some cheap crumpled chicken wire. I have phoned the police, council, RSPCA and no one can help me. My hedgehog walks that path that I rescued from you last year, my cat and other peoples cats. I am at my wits end with worry about all the wildlife including my cat and other peoples cats. All this cruelty just to have a few eggs every day. Why is the poor beautiful fox so hated in this country. All these years of persecution and today it is just as bad as it was years ago (perhaps even worse). Even thankfully badgers have some rights at the moment, but the fox has none. What it do to anyone, except steal a few chickens to survive. I would happily buy a chicken from the supermarket and throw it out if I knew it was going to be safe. I cannot sleep at night with worry at what is going on a few feet from my shed.

• Diane MorrellDiane Morrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The use of snares is barbaric, many wild animals suffer horribly and die a painful lingering death.
        I am a suporter of an animal rescue service, thank God we have people like them who give their time freely to rescue these poor animals. BAN THE SNARE.

• MorriartyMorriarty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's a pity Labour put class war above animal welfare in blasting the hunting act through parliament. The subsequent increase in the use of snares, poison and taking pot shots against foxes sadly doesn't surprise me.

• VictoriaVictoria commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is lax of the government to continue with this brutal method and belies their propaganda as environmental champions together with the slowing of the cosmetics testing ban in Europe.

• Angela ThorneAngela Thorne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this was done to humans it would be condemned as "torture", so how come it is allowed to be done to animals? Ban it NOW!!!!!

• madeleine orchardmadeleine orchard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's disgraceful that snares are not banned in the UK. Also why are Royal Mail using so many elastic bands which cause awful injury to wildlife - can we start a campaign to stop Royal Mail using them? I see them strewn all over the streets.

• RachelRachel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are much more humane traps to use. Please ban snares. They are unecessary and so very cruel.

Feedback and Knowledge Base