I suggest a campaign about ...

stop changes to the criteria for Working Family Tax Credit

The minimum hours worked to qualify for Family Tax Credit is being raised from 16 to 24 hours. This is at a time of increasing competition for jobs from single parents, students with no grants or EMA, and school leavers. The big stores and most other such employers only offer a maximum of 15 hours per contract but insist that employees do not work for another company in the same business and that employees are available to work extra hours at short notice.
These changes will result in approximately 500,000 families losing up to HALF of their total income.

These are some of the poorest families, all with school aged children and mostly low or unskilled. They will have no alternative but to lie to employers about their availability and could well end up leaving children unsupervised.

59 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RoseRose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

212,000 couples with children will lose ALL their Working Tax Credit - £3,870 in April if they cannot find the extra hours of work - and most of them can't. These are families on very low incomes already - at around £18,000 they are already on the edge of poverty.
        The Government will change the rules again in October 2013 - with Universal Credit there are no minimum hours of work. So why are they forcing such hardship on families with children now?
        Employers can't offer this many extra hours - there's too many people needing extra work already

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree I currently work 20 hours a week as a TA in a school, not a well paid job, but fits around my daughter. If i cant wok another 4 hours from April I will loose £460 a month. This is an awful situation for me and my daughter. It seems this government is picking on already low paid and struggling families yet again, thought it was alwasy going to pay to be in work!!!!

• donnadonna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

hi,
        my husband finally found a job after being unemployed for over two years,the job, however, is only 16hrs a week but he took it anyway as he believes its better to be working than at home feeling guilty about being on benefits,with working tax credits,child tax credits,housing and council tax benefit we are no better off than we were when he wasnt working but he felt better.Now we stand to lose our working tax credits in April,he has spoken to his employers and they are unable to provide him with eight more hours and I have been trying to find a job,with no luck, that I can fit in around his hours and school, as we have three children all under 10.
        This is a very worrying time for me and as April draws closer there seems to be only one option for us he leaves his job and becomes unemployed again or we ask for help to fight this insanity!

Feedback and Knowledge Base