I suggest a campaign about ...

Support Friends of The Wilderness Centre in their attempt to re-open The Wilderness Centre

A group of school teachers are attempting to re-open The Wilderness Centre in the Forest of Dean as an educational charitable trust to once again provide environmental and outdoor education of the highest standard that complies with the national curriculum and ensures quality of teaching, safety and compliance with educational standards in a location that is second to none. This education provision has been provided by The Wilderness Centre for over 40 years and delivered to thousands of students of all ages. Please email www.friendsofthewildernesscentre.org/ to register your support.

64 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    IanIan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • PitzPitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is vital our children learn how to live in the wilderness. How to find potable water, forage for food and find shelter. How to make fire and clothing. If necessary how to safely cannabalise each other if necessary. The economy will collapse for good soon and with nood food supplies and martial law in the cities how do you expect children to survive without proper education.

• P CoxP Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My grandchildren have benefited in many ways from time spent at the Wilderness Centre. They returned from their stays there much more confident children and had learnt much about outdoor life. I would wish this resource to re-open so that other children could have the same advantage and enjoy this wonderful resource.

• Louise MilnerLouise Milner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I have never visited the centre, I have first hand experience of the passion and commitment that the teachers have always brought to this neglected area of the curriculum. If people can come into contact with this love of the natural environment, they can only be influenced in a posative way.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We know the value of the Centre with our grandchildren having spent time there and benefited from the wide range of activities. I'm sure the council could find other ways of saving money instead of closing this worthwhile resource.

Fully support attempt to reopen centre. They have always done a tremendous job with young people.

We've been fortunate enough to see the Wilderness Centre and think it was a fabulous resource. It should definitely be re-opened as soon as possible.

Rob, Catherine, Richard and Bethan

• KarinKarin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bring back the Wilderness Centre! As an arts tutor I have had first hand experience of teaching the children in both the main house and the Saxon Hall, it is such a very sad loss to the community and also for children further afield. They need to have this type of education even more so in the future, so why close down such a wonderful place?

• JonJon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Wilderness Centre is a great place to be for fun and outdoor learning for all ages especially for children. I was so upset when it was closed all the effort into making it a great success for all was lost and I don't know why GCC shut it ! I know that there was a lot to do there and was really fun.
        J aged 11

• JonJon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Wilderness Centre is a really terrific outdoors place for children and I was very upset when it closed. I had many happy visits there and it would be great to have it back!
        J aged 14

• A Friend of the Wilderness CentreA Friend of the Wilderness Centre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Friends of the Wilderness Centre need public support to fund raise enough to purchase The Wilderness and Plump Hill sites from the county.
        GCC may want to offload the centres and 40 years of groundbreaking work with schools, youth and community groups but we know the centres are much-loved by the people of Gloucestershire and are confident we can raise enough to purchase and re-open the centres as a charitable educational organisation. This would give our schools and communities back the provision they have lost and also greater involvement with how the charity provides envronmental and outdoor learning in the future. Despite an economis crisis, now is not the time to abandon education about our environments promoting sustainable living and passion for our natural resources.

Feedback and Knowledge Base