I suggest a campaign about ...

Give Britain's animators a tax credit to stop our favourite characters being animated abroad

In terms of quality, humour and inventiveness, the British animation industry is second to none. Past success in this field has been such that characters like Aardman’s Wallace and Gromit have become part of our national heritage. They are also adored worldwide, acting as ambassadors that embody the spirit of our nation.

But many of our family favourites have moved abroad to be animated by foreign production companies.

Now nearly every nation in the world with an animation industry is offering government-backed incentives to attract animation work.

Put simply, there is no level playing field. Price and product have become secondary to cashflow. The corollary is that animators can waste years putting together funding packages in the UK before often having to resort to co-production with a business operating outside the country, losing a significant proportion of IP rights in the process.

Our animators have never wanted handouts. They are confident that they have the skill, flair and ideas to attract work. Nor do they argue against the free market. The problem lies in the fact that at the moment the market is far from free.

The government has been consistent in espousing its support for the creative industries. Here is an opportunity to turn a sympathetic ear into a lasting difference for British animators. Please write to Chancellor George Osborne and Culture Secretary, Jeremy Hunt, to ask them to introduce a targeted tax credit for animation as a palpable demonstration of the government’s support for the creative industries and commitment to economic growth.

700 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JDJD shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

44 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LukeLuke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully support this, the animation industry is so important to childrens television in the UK and also has been some of the best seen throughout the world.

• oli hyattoli hyatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Grayham - I myself have learning difficulties, the animation industry on the whole has a good proportion of people in who are "creative" rather than traditionally intellectual, this industry has enable me to thrive even with learning difficulties! Your right this idea alone will not save the world - but we never said it would, but it will save our industry and make money for this country!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just a level playing field, that's all. We have the ideas, the talent why throw it away? The stuff the UK animation industry has produced in the past sells all over the world paying major revenue to the government. Am I being a bit simple about this?

• grahamgraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

no it isnt and i am not bothered about that too I am bothered about the fact that people are dying because of this govt obssesson with cuttng the defict at the expence of peoples lifes and i dont think that this idea alone will do anything to help i am a person who as learning difficulties and i also get DLA to me there are too many people who think about making money and in my view are shallow and uncaring I think this needs to change

• Ben CadwalladerBen Cadwallader commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fully support this- also quite a few parts of the Animation, motion graphics & video games industry are spread across the country so these incentives would be helping the economy in various regions. If action isn't taken more productions, people & companies will move away to places such as Canada & France where such incentives are in place.

Im not sure your argument is really with people who make cartoons for children is it?

I have to disagree mr business man as i have just said its not about making tONEY people are dying because of people who think that money is more important.

You miss the point, if we get a tax break we make more shows, we employ more people, we make more money, which the government gets tax from, which means theres more money in the public purse to pays for benefits for the Sick, Disabled an Unfortunates.

no no we dont need this to happen WHAT ABOUT THE SICK DISABLED AND UNFORTUNATES IN THIS COUNTRY

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why shouldn't animators have access to the global market for their creations. They create, they sell, they pay tax we all win. I would not mind betting you have a secure job and probably a fat cat income. Stop being so selfish.

Like it or not preschool children watch an average of 2.2 hours of TV a day, meaning that by the time they are in the first year of school, one entire year of there waking life has been spent watching TV. More that twice the hours of free Preschool.

Animation is a majority of this diet.

So how much does the government invest in this year of a child - Nothing. O.K. that's not strictly true because they do give money to the BBC, so indirectly they do give money to this, but what do they value in a years development of a child, it breaks down at about 15 pounds.

15 pounds for a year of a child's life at this vital stage of development, its not enough.

• Agatha GomesAgatha Gomes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lets keep pushing this! The UK has one of the best animation industries in the world. Generating QUALITY animation. Generate jobs for us. Keep the money in the country. Dont make us move away.

• Ari SarafopoulosAri Sarafopoulos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let us keep British animation in Britain. I fully agree the government needs to saw support for the UK animation industry; At the moment the UK animation industry provides jobs and rich cultural gains, and we should try and enhance it and improve it, and not drive it away!

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base