I suggest a campaign about ...

Ban Smoking In Cars Carrying Children

Research suggested more than 300,000 children visited doctors every year with health problems associated with passive smoke, while there were 20,000 new cases of asthma and wheezing among children every year. Children are particularly vulnerable to the effects of passive smoking and while adults can make up their mind about the dangers of smoking, children are unable to decide whether or not to go in cars where cigarette smoke is circulating. We need to protect children.

153 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AnonymousAnonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • grahamgraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes children are able to decide they are human after all and got a voice(when they can talk)

• PitzPitz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Smoking in the presence of your children is the best way to create the smokers of the future. Any proposed ban on smoking in cars will be keenly opposed by the professional lobbyist whores of the tobacco companies. As said companies will need new smokers to stay in business and provide holidays and advisory jobs for some MPs. To save jobs in the tobacco industry and for some MPs their holidays and fat cat retirement perks the government will not allow this ban totake place. campaign for something we can win

• Theresa ReesTheresa Rees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Ben: Please do not generalise about poor parents. It is offensive. They do not all act irresponsibly or 'smoke over' their children. I never did when I was poorer and neither did any of my friends. In fact, very few do even now - despite what the right wing media might like you to believe. It is not only those from less poor backgrounds who are reputable, just as it is not only those from poor backgrounds who are disreputable and untrustworthy.

• BenBen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being a parent myself. I would hope that the parents of my children's friends do not smoke in the car as well. But the parents I know are generally reputable and wouldn't do that. I worry about the children from poorer backgrounds whose parents smoke over them. The parents may say that window is down so don't smell it. Give me a break. Unless you are sticking your head out the window after every puff its going to go in your children's lungs. Poor kids. Not only will they probably have asthma problems, but they too will grow craving a cigarette and end up smoking themselves when they are in their teens and try and fight the addiction for the rest of their lives.
        Mad world.

• AaronAaron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. Anyone who smokes over their kids shouldn't have kids. You are either stupid or selfish. Feel free to smoke in your own cars without kids but not when they are around. Not only are you harming and abusing your kids and someone elses, but they will be bullied at school since the smell so bad and their parents have a low iq.

• Theresa ReesTheresa Rees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whilst I disagree with smoking in the presence of children, particularly in cars, once this ban is made law, it will open the way for smoking in cars to be banned completely and I think for long term smokers,they are probably safer drivers when they are not thinking about when they can have their next smoke; they will be better tempered if they can smoke and finally, I have a right to be free from government interference in my choices that will not harm anyone but myself and in my own environment.

• SandySandy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't blame mister for his words. It is not his fault, it is his addiction speaking not himself. We will pray for him at our prayer meeting tonight. You can come along mister if you are in the area. Brother Carmichael would more than welcome you. PM me if you want to come mister. There will be sandwiches after.

• DonB786DonB786 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ban Smoking in cars whilst children/baby's are inside. Also smoking campaigns to educate the stupid, careless, uneducated fools, no common sense adults who smoke in cars whilst children specially babies are in the car.

• KateKate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Smoking around children should constitute child abuse. Children are not possessions, parents are not entitled to do whatever they want to them. The parent can go outside when they want to smoke, the child cannot go outside every time they need to breathe.

Feedback and Knowledge Base