I suggest a campaign about ...

Revoke plans to remove Right to Free Legal Advice to detainees

From: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/anger-at-coalitions-plan-to-limit-right-to-legal-aid-2355535.html

"The Government plans to remove the "fundamental right" to free legal advice for people held in police custody – 27 years after it was introduced to stop miscarriages of justice.

Coalition MPs have voted through one of the most controversial sections of the Legal Aid, Sentencing and Punishment of Offenders Bill which would restrict access to legal advice for criminal suspects. Clause 12 paves the way for secondary legislation to introduce means testing for legal advice for those held in a police station. It would also see the director of legal aid, a post which does not yet exist, decide which detainees deserve legal aid in the "interest of justice" without any right to appeal."

This is likely a violation of Human Rights, and an invitation to abuse, with only the wealthy able to adequately defend themselves in a timely manner. The right to fair representation should be one available to all, and this legislation flies in the face of this. This and the rest of Bill should be struck down and reviewed immediately, and a new bill drafted that reflects the fundamental right to equality before the law.

14 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    EmersonEmerson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...