I suggest a campaign about ...

Discrimination against type 1 diabetics being banned from driving by EU interference

The EU decision to stop Type 1 Diabetics from driving should be strongly opposed. This decision is discrimination and could set a precedent for many other illnesses that are adequately controlled by recognised medication.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Graham BirdGraham Bird shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KitKit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe more people aren't campaigning about this. It is blatant discrimination to even restrict, let alone ban, diabetic drivers. As a type 1 diabetic myself, I am a victim of this IGNORANT, INSULTING, and DISCRIMINATORY behaviour towards people with a very straightforward and easily controlled medical condition. How dare they! I bitterly object to the fact that my license is restricted, and if I am banned from driving entirely, it will have a catastrophic effect on my life and well-being.

The people who make these laws clearly have NO understanding of diabetes. I've been told by staff at the DVLA that diabetics are considered by them to be no different from drunks!!! Can you believe it? It's true. No wonder they hate us so much. Perhaps someone should educate them a bit. I am on insulin, but I have NEVER in my life experienced a hypo - which is apparently what the lawmakers and DVLA find so scary. Usually my blood glucose levels are (slightly) too high, NOT too low, and it has ZERO effect on my driving. I really hope some more people vote for this campaign, as a "good" outcome would not only put right a major injustice, but it would also save a lot of administrative costs to various bodies - including the DVLA!

Feedback and Knowledge Base