I suggest a campaign about ...

CCTV to be made compulsory in UK slaughterhouses.

Following Animal Aid's detailed investigation into UK slaughterhouses, the campaigning group is calling for mandatory CCTV to be installed in all abattoirs. This must be made law ahead of January 2013 when new Regulations - which will not allow the UK to improve upon existing measures - come into force. Already, the supermarkets are on board. Now we just need to persuade the government!

1,057 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kate FowlerKate Fowler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

423 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Frances WilliamsFrances Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you choose to eat meat then you should know what life and what death that animal had. I can not eat meat if that animal has had a cruel end. There must always be respect towards farm animals, they are living beings just like us.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop the abuse in slaughterhouses by installing CCTV, compassion should be shown to all animals.

• Sara BubastisSara Bubastis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this call for CCTV in slaughterhouses. I also would like a call for smaller, more local slaughterhouses so that animals do not have to travel too far for this purpose. I have been vegetarian and vegan before, and agree wholeheartedly with their ethos; however, if people insist on eating meat, they should insist on compassionate treatment of the animals who die for their food.

• Tamsyn SmithTamsyn Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a regular petition supporter with 38 Degrees I strongly urge that this cause is highlighted immediately. If people do make the choice to eat meat then they must at least concern themselves with how it got to their dinner plates. Or better still, go vegan!

• Erica RawlingsErica Rawlings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CCTV in all abattoirs would help to stop unnecessary cruelty to animals such as kicking and punching before being slaughtered.Being vegan and not supporting this grotesque industry is the best!

• Michael JamesMichael James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an essential first step towards preventing the unthinkable cruelty that goes on every day in these slaughter houses, where mass murder of our fellow sentient beings takes place on a vast scale.

• sharonsharon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is essential as a guarantee (if they are monitored properly) of basic animal welfare and as an end to the apalling suffering that Animal Aid's filming has uncovered.

• Teddy BourneTeddy Bourne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree. Look at America, where factory farm corporations are trying to have it made a criminal offence to take undercover footage of the abuses at their "farms". The same principle applies to abbatoirs. There should be complete openness about their practices.

• Hilary BisschopsHilary Bisschops commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If there were no problems, the powers that be would not be against the installations-quite obvious. The animals deserve far better.

• Teresa DeaconTeresa Deacon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apart from the perpetrators, no-one could fail to be shocked to see the appalling abuse uncovered by Animal Aid. If CCTV helps to make the last hours of these sentient animals less miserable then there has to be a law to make it compulsory. The only solution of course is to become a vegan.

• DAVID KENNEDYDAVID KENNEDY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Get cctv in, get animals protected, get the nation on a vegetarian diet. "When you stop buying they'll stop dying" !

• Terasa BeachTerasa Beach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if they are acting in the humane way that they should be, they should not have a problem with cctv being installed. get it installed asap please.

• FrancescaFrancesca commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have seen some disgusting and horrendous footage of inhumane slaughterhouses; I truly hope that with the aid of enforced CCTV a lot more prosecution will occur and result in a lot less animal injustice.

• Ann JonesAnn Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CCTV should be compulsory, it's bad enough that animals have to be slaughtered but to be inhumane is despicable. All animals should also be stunned prior to slaughter. I am sorry if this offends people of other cultures but to kill an animal while it is conscious is unacceptable

1 2 5 7 9 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base