I suggest a campaign about ...

CCTV to be made compulsory in UK slaughterhouses.

Following Animal Aid's detailed investigation into UK slaughterhouses, the campaigning group is calling for mandatory CCTV to be installed in all abattoirs. This must be made law ahead of January 2013 when new Regulations - which will not allow the UK to improve upon existing measures - come into force. Already, the supermarkets are on board. Now we just need to persuade the government!

1,057 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kate FowlerKate Fowler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

423 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Julia Palmer-BrownJulia Palmer-Brown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If undercover footage of abuse in slaughterhouses is inadmissable in court to bring animal abusers to justice, then CCTV must be installed to ensure that animals are treated properly and not caused undue suffering and distress. No animal deserves to be tortured and slaughter house workers who do should be dismissed and prosecuted.

• juliejulie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't believe the abuse of intelligent creatures like pigs at the hands of ignorant slaughter- house workers as seen in Animal Aid's appalling video. CCTV must be installed and monitored at all premises.

• TarinaTarina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with CCTV for all slaughterhouses. If animals have to be killed, it must be monitored.

• DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a lot to answer for in the abhorrent way we treat animals. CCTV in slaughterhouses is absolutely necessary to help put an end to the mistreatment and suffering of animals.

• Den BondsDen Bonds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely necessary to avoid repetitions of what we have known to have happened in the past. Those that are employed to slaughter animals have absolutely no respect for these poor creatures and the public needs to be assured that what goes on in these abattoirs is strictly monitored.

• Lindsay SouthcombeLindsay Southcombe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot understand why this has not been done years ago to ensure the highest standards for the unfortunate animals who are being slaughtered. Surely it is the very least that any civlilised society would demand.

• Jake WilkinsonJake Wilkinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am afraid to say that slaughterhouses cannot be trusted to act within the law. By their very nature, slaughter-men do not have animal welfare at the top of their list of priorities. CCTV is the only way forward.

• MICHELLE STATHAMMICHELLE STATHAM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me I would end all animal slaughter but as that ain't going to happen any time soon animals need to be treated with respect at the most vulnerable time in their lives. The only way to keep a check on their treatment is CCTV in all slaughterhouses by law. Making it compulsory to have them on at all times and on the spot impromptu inspections of the tapes as well as several per year regular inspections of the practises, premises and environment .Hefty fines for all those who fail to comply to the regs and jail for those who are found to be sadistic & cruel

• Marcus FergusonMarcus Ferguson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is no reason on earth why CCTV should not be installed in all slaughterhouses in the UK. The animals who have to go through the slaughter 'system' suffer enough without the added abuse documented by Animal Aid. If people have to eat animals and if we want to be seen as a humane and civilised society then we should treat these animals with the respect and compassion they rightly deserve.

• Tae TurnerTae Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't stand to think of the horror these animals endure.If this can lesson the cruelty in any measure then why would anyone not be behind this.Please make this mandatory.

• Joan and Bruce HawkinJoan and Bruce Hawkin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please make CCTV mandatory in all the UK slaughter houses. Stop the horrific torture of innocent animals. If they are going to lose their lives so people can have a mouthful of flesh then let them die with some dignity and respect. Thank you!

• DebbieDebbie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CCTV should be compulsory - it not only monitors what is going on but it acts as a deterrent. Just as it does for all aspects of 'bad' human behaviour. I am a CCTV analyst and I know first hand that CCTV helps to show the truth. Humans lie, especially if they think they can get away with wrong-doing.

• Miss Nicola AllenMiss Nicola Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I completely agree there should be CCTV in slaughterhouses - what else would be as effective as this at stopping unnecessary cruelty,animals killed for the meat industry have a right to at least be killed and treated as humanely as possible.

• clareclare commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CCTV in all slaughterhouses needs to be implemented asap, horiffic cruelty which happens in these disgusting places must be stopped.

Feedback and Knowledge Base