I suggest a campaign about ...

CCTV to be made compulsory in UK slaughterhouses.

Following Animal Aid's detailed investigation into UK slaughterhouses, the campaigning group is calling for mandatory CCTV to be installed in all abattoirs. This must be made law ahead of January 2013 when new Regulations - which will not allow the UK to improve upon existing measures - come into force. Already, the supermarkets are on board. Now we just need to persuade the government!

1,057 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kate FowlerKate Fowler shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

423 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • denisedenise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this going to apply to all the countries that supply meat to the food chains?
        If we are to believe that it is about animal welfare then every animal should be slaughtered in the same way in our country and no exceptions this includes halal slaughterhouses. If you have ever seen a cow killed by this method you would be appalled by the distress this causes to the animal and I am sorry if this offend but no animal should have to suffer this.
        The meat could be shipped in from other countries that do support this.

• J RobinsonJ Robinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CCTV made compulsory in all slaughterhouses would be a positive step on the road to animal welfare.

• Christina Bagan-JonesChristina Bagan-Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems every undercover investigation of slaughterhouses finds the most awful abuse of animals. It's high time the meat-eating public are made aware of how their food is produced. "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, the world would be vegetarian".

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Archie Lochus commented · December 06, 2011 · Flagged

Can we exclude halal slaughterhouses from this please?

Why would you want to exclude these people from their sick and depraved practises? I believe as you only want to monitor non Halal slaughterhouses that your suggestion is rascist and I have flagged it as inappropriate because of that.

No votes left but I would vote for this. There is a huge amount of animal cruelty out there, both illegal and in places such as slaughterhouses. we live in a very cruel world to animals of all kinds.

CCTV will soon be everywhere so why not slaughter houses. The companies that provide this equipment at great unnecessary expense need to maintain their profit growth. Also this will provide more material for cheap reality TV programmes. Let's just hope they include the Halal slaughter houses too.

• Nina EckhoffNina Eckhoff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The USA needs to follow this example. We seem to be going in the opposite direction... where undercover videos (which are made to expose animal cruelty) may become a crime. How sad is is that?!? Seems designed to protect those who do harm. As usual in my beloved USA, follow the $$$ to learn how this perversion of justice came into being.

• Nick TaylorNick Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have seen Animal Aid's video evidence, it made me sick to my stomach. The truth is, having CCTV is the only way to ensure this never happens again. Come on you Politicians, give us something to make us happy.

• Anna BurmanAnna Burman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These cruel men that work in slaughter houses should be ashamed of themselves....I hope they never get employed ever again anywhere near animals....they are inhuman. I think they must have no brains not to realise that animals feel pain too, like all living creatures they deserve respect, bad enough we eat them but let their final hours not be abusive one's. These men I hope will get their just reward some day for their dreadful acts.

• susan whittlesusan whittle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The horrific abuse of animals in slaughterhouses must not be allowed to go on and I implore the authorities to ensure that CCTV is made compulsary in Abbatoirs immediatley.

• sarah langhornesarah langhorne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

why should there be any problem for this cctv to be installed I can only think that those wishing to oppose it must have something to hide.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22

Feedback and Knowledge Base