I suggest a campaign about ...

Sayce Review recommends the disabilty employment champion Remploy is closed down

The Government commissioned Liz Sayce to conduct a review of the provision of support for the employment of the disabled in the UK. Published in June the Sayce Review principle suggestion is the Remploy a NGD under the DWP is closed or moved into the private sector. This would effectively mean the closure of 54 factories and the redundancy of over 2,500 disabled workers.

The choice of Liz Sayce is surprising as she is known in the sector to be opposed to Remploy, and was signatory too an open letter to the Guardian Newspaper in 2007 calling for Remploy to be closed. Secondly the Government consultation period for this review has been timed to coincide with the Parliamentary summer recess. On the day the report was published, and before any consultation was begun, the Government published its response saying that “It was minded to accept its recommendations”. I would allow you to draw your own conclusions!

75 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    The save Remploy teamThe save Remploy team shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Olivia WarhamOlivia Warham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of all the cuts the government is making, this one is short-sighted and shows no understanding for the needs of disabled people.

• david charlesdavid charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work at the Leeds site with workers with severe learning difficulty’s how will the department who work with providers. to evaluate there needs? As we well know prospective employers will not tolerate employees with learning difficulties, or disabilates or be interested to support there needs, and the cycle returning to its original start point. I look forward to your views on this matter.As for the commitment of Remploy Staff who work with the needs of employees on a day to day basis, is second to none.

• carol ramsdencarol ramsden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really dont think this government has a clue about disabled people this isant just a place of work for many its theit social life dignity/ motivation safe haven where all are accepted for who they are not what society think they should be liz sayce should come and spend a day work with these people it would make her think about closing the factorys and putting use on the scrap heat she does not support remploy as she spent any time with the disabled no dont think so

• elaine newellelaine newell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop the government targeting disabled and the most venerable people in society and help save Remploy sites and ask how impartial the SAYCE report is as Liz Sayce who works for RADAR wrote it and has a vested interest and has always been against supported employment for the disabled. The report findings are not realistic solution and the report doesn't state how the government are going to get the disabled into work, yet they want to stop their benefits, if Remploy closed many would never work again and would end up on benefit. It's very complex situation and you can't pigion hole peoples disabilities to suit the government of the day. Please circulated this link to an online petition to support Remploy as we are nearly at the 100,000 mark which will force the government to have a full debate in Parliament. www.saveremployfactories.co.uk

• J P KeerieJ P Keerie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The choice of Liz Sayce was for to close Remploy down. Instead of a Person had been chosen who had the intention of cutting out the dead wood and making the company.

• stephen troupestephen troupe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

would you ask a hangman to fasten your tie?Absolutely crazy to employ a well known anti-remployist to do a report to justify us staying open .Would i put the future of safc in a geordie ,why it would be utter madness - wooooaaahhh(harry enfield style - double take twins)

• Peter CrabtreePeter Crabtree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I took a pay cut to join Remploy to run a factory employing 41 disabled people. I could double my current salary in the industry outside of Remploy. I now have 11 disabled people left in a business that is trending towards break-even late this year or early next, yet of them 6 would find it impossible to hold down a job in open employment due to their conditions. Far from preferring to work outside of Remploy (something which is encouraged and supported for those who do) they are frightened of the prospect, and this review and the consultation process are making that worse. These people work damned hard for their wages, produce a good product, and with more sales (currently growing) we can be a viable business. But irrespective of that, there are many hundreds of similar employees who will have a very dim future.

• Robert CurryRobert Curry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If Remploy Factories were run efficiently they would become viable, therefore many Disabled and Vulnerable people would be able to continue doing a worthwhile job.
        We are NOT claiming job seekers allowance or invalidity benefit. WE ARE WORKING and want to continue to do so.There are not enough jobs for abled bodied people, so what chance have we got outside remploy?

Feedback and Knowledge Base