I suggest a campaign about ...

Call on the UK government to support women's rights in Afghanistan

When the UK entered Afghanistan 10 years ago, they promised to improve the lives of Afghan women. While some progress has been made, there is growing concern that women's rights will be left out. When it comes to discussions around transition and peace, women are being marginalised and ignored. Ask the UK government to make good on their promises to Afghan women and ensure that they are included at the upcoming Bonn conference on Afghanistan and that the promotion, protection and realisation of women’s rights are absolutely central to the discussion.

By using diplomatic pressure, funding Afghan women's organisations to attend peace talks, and by building women's issues into the transition plan, the UK government can make a difference for Afghan women.

344 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    No women no peaceNo women no peace shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

50 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tom JohnsonTom Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

. . . and as 'imperial powers' it is incumbent on USA and UK to educate the barbarians?

Pretty rich stuff, Counsellor.

• Tom JohnsonTom Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

. . . the implicit 'given' being that UK are entitled to be in Afghanistan or even have any business to be there?

Interesting.

• Paul BrightPaul Bright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Women in Afghanistan had rights in a normalising society until the United States armed the Mujahedeen. This arming of Salafist rebels forced out the Soviet Union which protected Afghanistan until 1989. IF the current UK government cared about Afghanistan they would work together with regional powers and especially Russia, the regional superpower, for peace. I think the UK government is now more interested in supporting Salafist rebels in Syria and undermining peace. We need to change policy in order to protect Afghan womens' rights and I have written to my MP about this. I wish you well in your campaign. Salafism is a very serious risk to women, trade unionists and all moderate people who believe in World Peace.

• JessicaMJessicaM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The more that women's rights are marginialized the more justification it will give to people to keep up with the abuse and neglect of women and girls and all the knock-on effects with child development, unemployment and retarding of development goals like literacy. We need to support home-grown women's initiatives and avoid falling into the trap of intervention which may neither be effective or appropriate.

• Zoe BremerZoe Bremer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any country that is not prepared to treat women the same as men is wasting half of its talent and resources.

• Ali FreemanAli Freeman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now more than ever we must make sure women have a lasting role in building the future Afgahnistan

• Judith JoyJudith Joy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hope all women's support groups in Afghanistan will be contacted to send delegates especially RAWA whose founder was murdered and whose members have been constantly persecuted. They work tirelessly with Afghani refugees and in Afghanistan.

• C SandesC Sandes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without equal rights for women in education, in work, in everything, Afghanistan is wasting half of its human resources.

• AiyanaAiyana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everyone who posts here says women are important. What's preventing us from getting together?

I strongly support the slutwalks that are happening, but whay was it necessary from an obnoxious policeman to insult a woman before it happened? A man called Sara-Wiwa from Nigerian said "Oil does not bring movement it brings stagnation". It seems he was talking about rape and the remark is very wise. Then he was murdrered. There are very serious matters here and issues need to be examined in a whole way. Women are the origin of life and rape denies that. True progress must come through recgonising the fundamnetal central place of women in human affairs, not only in developing countries but in the rich region as well. Tlelegwa gee

• Wiktor OstaszWiktor Ostasz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Empowering women is the surest way to positive change in the developing world, and the most urgent social need. It is the responsibility of all who are engaged in Afghanistan to help this come about there.

• Dr Sue TateDr Sue Tate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The west entered the invasion of Afghanistan using the argument of the liberation of women from Taliban oppression. Time to show this was more than a maneuver and act on a commitment to equality, the full participation of women and thus a just and fulfilled culture.

• Maria HuqoqiMaria Huqoqi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, women do need to be part of the peace process. In order for women to actually feel safe enough to vote and make a change is if the government protects and ensures that their rights are not being abused. women can still not vote unless they can get permission from their husbands. Their voting registration cards also do not have a picture on them so they are often sold. women also need to be educated about politics in their country because right now education is the only way to get people to use their mentality instead of going with the flow.

• Nicola GarwoodNicola Garwood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Women need to be part of the peace process, part of the establishment, part of the government. Women must be enabled to participate.

• Elaine |JonesElaine |Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Afghan women must be central to any discussions if there is to be any chance of real and sustained improvements in their lives.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base