Dilnot Report

Social care costs in England should be
capped so people do not face losing large chunks of their assets, an
independent review says.

Council-funded home help and care home places for the elderly and
adults with disabilities are currently offered only to those with under
£23,250 of assets.

The Dilnot report said the threshold should rise to £100,000 and a
£35,000 lifetime cap on costs would be "fair".

But the Treasury is known to have doubts about the expense of the
plans.

I note that the Labour leader Ed Miliband said he would be willing to
have cross-party talks to try to reach a consensus on the issue.

The recommendations already have widespread support among charities and
campaigners with many arguing it provided the blueprint for reform.

We need to act now to ensure that the Government takes the findings of the Dilnot Report seriously so that they can be implemented quickly.

19 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    M-JM-J shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Richard JoyceRichard Joyce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current government proposals mean that virtually nobody will have access to funding or will be prevented from selling their homes. It is a scandal that they are presenting their ludicrous interpretation of the cap as a solution to social care.

• debby bonddebby bond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I care for my Mum who is 80 and had a stroke 3 yrs ago which has left her very disabled (unable to stand even supported) so needs lots of care. i work 30 hours per week and care for her the rest of the time so we have to have agency carers that she pays for as a self funder
        They say she needs 2 carers per time (health and safety although i do it alone). It was costing her at least 3000 per month before I started taking over the personal care before and after work and at weekends and it is still upwards of 1500 per month. I feel she is being penalised for being "more" disabled and having to pay for 2 carers per time until all her money runs out.
        I also think carers should get paid respite as like other carers I am "on my knees"

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is extremely disappointing that the Government has kicked this report into the long grass.Obviously there is no political will to change the basis of this shameful care system but perhaps not surprising when you see the lack of interest even on this site on this issue. I guess people don't focus on it in their lives until it's too late. I would encourage 38 degree members to take another look at this issue and push the Government to action the recommendations of the report.

Feedback and Knowledge Base