I suggest a campaign about ...

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thameslink-Protest/118345774919703

The recent award of a £1.4bn infrastructure contract to a foreign contractor.

This is very much at odds with the Governments recent focus on stimulating UK manufacturing.

This decision needs to be reviewed with proper scrutiny to ensure the effects on the UK economy are appreciated.

401 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Tim SmithTim Smith shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

131 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do feel that Government should give preference to UK based jobs and industry.
        Giving contracts to foreign companies - is signing a cheque that the Profit and workers jobs, wages and their taxes are effectively exported to another country.
        Leaving the UK to pay for unemployment benefits and the like.

• Sir-Bob-Russell-MPSir-Bob-Russell-MP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just for the record, the foreign contractor (Siemens) has, via an internal report), stated that their Trains division is loosing money hand-over-fist. If they are given the contract, there is no guarantee that they will be around to service it.

• Ian HawleyIan Hawley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The attitude of our Government over the fraud incidents that Siemans have been involved in which should have precluded them from any bid is appalling. I am also concerned over the Government financial adviser who sits on the board of 3i (financial backers) who are supporting Siemens bid who they claim has not got a vested intrerest, does in my opinion smell of corruption and we've seen a enough of that the last few years. Cameron to state he supports British manufacturing one week then awards the contract to a German company defies believe. We need to support the LAST train manufacturer in the UK once its gone there would be no turning back and all further requirement will have to be sourced abroad and the skills and talent will be lost. Remember what happened to the foundry industry.

• grahamgraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is tipicall of or govt they say that they want to regerate employment in this county then do this as mike says a complete disgrace

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do wonder whether there is something more sinister behind giving such a lucrative contract to Siemens, particularly if they are as corrupt a company as some say.
        It has to be either corruption or total incompetence on the part of UK government.

• Tim WilliamsonTim Williamson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is time Cameron stood up for the UK take the right decision in awarding the contract to Bomardier. The railway industry will be gone forever not forgetting the financial disaster affecting the areas that feed into Bomardier and supporting industries.
        Cameron and Clegg the voting public will not forget the weak decisions and lack of backbone taken in this contract, many, many people will be affected by this shocking stance to award to Siemens.

• Kevin AstleKevin Astle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This current government has made and is making some disastrous decisions.Already many people are thinking we need a new government.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Siemens has the worst record of corruption and bribery of any corporation. As recently as 2009 they had massive fines. The UK is notable in that it is one of the few major nations not have dragged them through courts for bribery. This tells us that they have their dealings so well covered up they won't be caught. Anyone against the deal should dig deeply for anything you can find at all about the deal including about the MPs who agreed the contract, and pass it on to the local MP for Bombardier.
        As has been seen with BSB/NI, campaigning alone is not enough, we have dig dirt and make that public. It is a shame that tabloids don't use more of their resources to do it, but if someone did get the info and pass it on, they will publish as it's a prominent issue and would sell papers.
        Follow the money, thoroughly.

• Mark TurnockMark Turnock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The DfT claimed that they did not take into account the economic cost of redundancies due to a lack of labour market data. I say this is a load of bull as the Office for National Statistics keeps detailed labour market statistics covering industry type. The government's excuses are unbelievable and lame and this campaign should succeed before it's too late!

• stephen meissnerstephen meissner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This type of underhanded dealings is why the country is in ruins, the government needs to stop this and keep the railways British.

• Colin EptonColin Epton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is not good enough for Cameron to claim that the bidding rules had been set by the previous Labour Government. Cameron's Government is in power now and could have changed the criteria for the bid if they had wanted to. There must be a point at which the desire for free competion is overridden by the need to protect a stategic industry and its skill base. This decision should be reversed.

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Clearly this government have no interest in ordinary people in this country. Giving the train contract to Germany is an example of this. Ordinary people face the future with fear. How many more rugs are they going to pull from under us.

• David biggsDavid biggs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why are my government paying 1.4billion of our taxes to build trains in Germany by siemens when our own people in Britain can build them the Europeans award their rail contracts to themselfs full stop. What is our government playing at???? . David Biggs bombardier employee.

• Nina SansomNina Sansom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The Government should re-think this one. How can it be value for money for the British taxpayer, when it will be losing income tax from all the Bombardier employees who are losing their jobs, plus all the people in subsiduary industries who will also lose their jobs?
        Think again, David Cameron and Nick Clegg. The British public will never forgive you for this.

• jean cauldwelljean cauldwell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happened to supporting British manufacturing. Ho could they give this contract to Germany when our country is is such a state. Hope the government will have a re-think and save the jobs of all the loyal people working there. They deserve better than this.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base