I suggest a campaign about ...

Stop Youth Work and Youth Services from receiving Savage Cuts!

546 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Andy DykesAndy Dykes shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

239 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Laura MilnerLaura Milner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This hasnt been commented on for over a year! there are devastating cuts and reforms happening to the youth service right across the country, we need to show that we care about our young people and want the best for them and their future.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

im a part time youth worker and I can testify that cuts are having a big effect. more people off sick and those are "policing" and struggling to provide a service. workers who resign aren't replaced. It seems easier to cut youth workers rather than school funding or social services. waiting for the next election - will be too late.

• grahamgraham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i see theres been no comments on this for over a month so i ask why

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking at the campaigns of 38 Degrees, although some are very worthwhile, it seems to me the agenda is very middle class. The issues of poverty and disability seem to be so far down the list of priorities. If true, this is such a pity because the working class and the disabled do not have a political voice in the UK any more and desperately need one.

yes sue i know that the youth are our future but what are 38 degrees going to do about this issue probaly nothing

• Sue WorthingtonSue Worthington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a retired Careers Adviser who became a Personal Adviser in the Connexions Service, I am devastated by the dangerous withdrawal of funding from so many support services for young people. They are our future! When will the government, both central and local wake up to this however dire our overall financial situation.

• Sue WorthingtonSue Worthington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a retired Careers Adviser who became a Personal Adviser in the Connexions Service, I am devastated by the dangerous withdrawal of funding from so many support services for young people. They are our future! When will the government, both central and local wake up to this however dire our overall financial situation.

and to add to my previous post WELL SAID and i agree 100% with all your points on your post so thank again caroline

caroline thank for the comment about winging on this forum i agree with you 100% and i cant understand too why some people are saying that winging is going on.to me this forum is about members putting their point of view in a conctructive way and i havve tried to do that most of the time

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the government concentrated their efforts on stopping tax evasion and avoidance in the UK and creating jobs there would be plenty of money to go round.
        Cutting the deficit, is a smokescreen for the coalition to undertake a purely political agenda. In so doing they are destroying the lives of millions of young people.

• Caroline BowesCaroline Bowes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Of course the educational system and the health system have higher profiles. That doesn't mean this should be seen as a competition. All vital services need support and this is a campaigning organisation. This forum is to suggest campaigns against poor governmental decisions and agendas affecting many areas of our lives. Thus I can't understand why it is being suggested that raising an issue in this forum is winging and pointless. This forum seems a good place to raise issues and then It's down to supporters of 38 degrees to decide the main issues from the suggestions.

I'm no expert. I am certainly not a youth worker wanting to cling on to my job, but I follow events and I have previously worked in the health service with the same problems with bureaucracy under New Labour. That doesn't mean that the only alternative is to rip the public sector apart, and pull the feet away from the voluntary sector using an ideology that there is no alternative to severe cuts. Much of the bureaucracy imo arose from over concentration on improvement through regulation and efficiency rather than straight forward resource provision. And I'm pretty sure that managing public services will become even more complex and bureaucratic the way we are heading. But the National Health Service was created in a situation of much higher debt than we have at present. There are also arguments that there is no need to cut as fast as the the Coalition desires or that cutting is counterproductive. There are also campaigns for alternatives for funding such as The Robin Hood Tax. In relation to youth services the government is throwing money at their baby The National Citizen Service, designed to encourage young people to become involved in their community through volunteering with little evidence, as far as I have seen of its value, while at the same time cutting back services that already exist. There are always alternatives and choices to be made. The problem is that the Coalition government only wants us to see one, which is a based on an Anglo-American neoliberal agenda.

ok nigel lets agree to disagree on this point i still think that the youth are the future and allways will as for your points on the financial mess i still think that we didnt create it as we all have a choice to take up or not takeup mortgages,loans and credit cards i do agree with greed point though as i strongly belive in if you cannot afford it you do with out it i really dont want to end up having a fall out over this issue thank

• Nigel TurnerNigel Turner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No sorry Graham that's not why I disagree at all, I didn't walk out I chose to move on as I was working for a very ineffective service 'namely the youth service' that was bogged down with paperwork and was more and more target driven in order to fulfil political agendas as opposed to meeting identified needs of the service users. As you don't work in the youth service I'm assuming you've never had to complete the endless amounts of forms that youth workers are burdened with. As a drugs worker I ended up having to complete 3 forms each time I made contact with a client even if I just phoned them up to see how they were doing. I was spending 70% of my time doing admin and 30% face work, all to ensure that the people making policy could justify their existence and throw meaningless statistics about. And yes we did create the financial mess we are in, We have lived off credit for years, Mortgages , Credit cards , finance for ridiculous gas guzzling cars. Gluttony and greed. There are people on this planet who have to watch their children die from curable diseases, scavenge for food off rubbish tips and there we are sucking up the worlds resources like they're going out of fashion spending money we don't have so that we can watch their misery on our big screen televisions. We've all contributed to the financial mess and have no right to whine about it now that payback time is here. Just a shame that our young people are the ones who will foot the bill. (Rant over)

and thats why you dont agree with many of my posts on this issue isnt nigel.you walked out thats your problem i stilll think that the youth are our future but i do agree with you on the govt not seeing the youth as inportant as all the other services all im asking is for a balanced pubic service thats all and also we didt create the huge debt did we

Linda you have a valid point, however unfortunately due to the 60's baby boom there is no possible way that the current welfare systems will be sustainable. It will fall onto private enterprise to ensure that we are looked after and that will mean us paying not our children. They won't be in a financial position to contribute as they will be paying back the huge debt that we have selfishly created.

Graham I'm not saying they're not, I'm a natioanaly qualified youth work manager, I've worked in the hardest areas of inner city Leeds as both a center based , detached youth worker ,area and center manager. I've also worked within the criminal justice system working as a drugs support worker for both adults and young people. What I'm saying is that the government will never see it as inportant as the NHS, Police etc so trying to get them to make an exception in the cuts for youth work is a waste of energy. They didn't listen to the students, they're not listening to the army whats the chance they will take any notice of the youth service when they can't even quantify what they do. If they were going to listen to anybody it would be the service users and as yet I've seen nobody on here encouraging youth participation. What's heppened to the youth parliament ? Lip service to participation that never gave young people any power whatsoever, just enabled boxes to be ticked and justify peoples jobs. I don't condone the looting and violence but applaud any young people who had the balls to stand up and shout, particularly the students. Why are youth workers not harnessing this and enabling young people to have a voice ? I got out when I realised that the youth service was being run by beurocratic pen pushers more interested in keeping their own jobs than enabling positive change .

nigel i just feel that the youth services are just as important as the NHS,police ect and this country needs a balanced public service not just the the ones that can make money as its all about people NOT MONEY.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base