I suggest a campaign about ...

stopping climate change being dropped from the national curriculum.

A government adviser reviewing the school National Curriculum is recommending that Climate Change be excluded from the science curriculum. Unless the public succeed in persuading the government of the crucial importance of climate education, it will be dropped from the curriculum from 2013, when the new National Curriculum comes into being.

1,124 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Diana KorchienDiana Korchien shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

172 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • John PalmerJohn Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems ridiculous. How can they teach science without teaching about climate change. It's just like the yank southern states banning the teaching of evolution. No wonder the film was called "An Inconvenient Truth". It's true but if we don't tell the kids we can ignore the truth and sell them more motor cars and air conditioning.

• Alasdair CameronAlasdair Cameron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I believe the government should keep the science of climate change on the school curriculum.. it is an important and fascinating area of scientific study.

• Bob IrvingBob Irving commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We cannot have climate change swept under the carpet like this. In fact, it would be a good idea for Contraction and Convergence to be included as well, but I have a suspicion that that would be a bit too joined up.

• Biff VernonBiff Vernon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Tim Oates, the adviser, says he wants to concentrate on core topics such as oxidation. So long as the oxidation of carbon remains we should be all right

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you could do worse than base your entire science curriculum around Climate Change. much of my own science education 40 years ago was far too theoretical, and hence dry and uninspiring!

• John 'Compost' CosshamJohn 'Compost' Cossham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anthropogenic climate change must be one of the most important issues of our times, and we should continue to provide information about the causes and the potential solutions for the people who matter most, future generations.

• David Oakley-HillDavid Oakley-Hill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But the problem of climate change that will increasingly affect everyone, and perhaps human survival, has not gone away. Science includes the rather important study of how the planet provides Life on Earth, and how, if habitat and resources that support us is threatened, we should be trying to reduce the impact of our activities, and start thinking that way at an early age. This government adviser might need to do a study course.

• RuthRuth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can Climate Change (whether you deem it man-made or not) be dropped from the curriculum when RE is there?

1 2 5 6 7 9 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base