I suggest a campaign about ...

Repeal US-UK Extradition Treaty, & Ban Extradition without Contestable Prima Facie Evidence

The US-UK extradition treaty (signed secretly under Queen's prerogative) and the Extradition Act (2003) effectively remove all protection from UK citizens against unjust extradition. Despite being denounced as an anathema to justice by Liberty, the ACLU and eminent legal consensus in the UK, and despite a series of resulting high-profile injustices, the Treaty & the Act are currently undergoing very expensive 'review' by the government to decide whether this blatantly unfair legislation is fair or not. The law as it stands means that anyone can be extradited to the USA and the recently publicised brutality of its prison system without a shred of contestable evidence - you don't need to have committed a crime to be extradited. I hope that 38degrees will adopt a campaign to send a clear message to the review panel demanding just legislation and full protection from wrongful, politically motivated extradition.

334 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    claireclaire shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

52 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All countries must resist US power grabs and their never ending quest for world control. Their bully tactics should be rejected and their country isolated.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Theresa May and David Cameron are both in favour of abolishing the Human Rights Act and for 10 years Gary McKinnon has been kept hanging, waiting to be extradited to the US when he is clearly at risk mentally. How can we stand by and let our government throw a vulnerable British citizen to the wolves. This is morally bankrupt. Lord Palmerston would turn in his grave.

I do not understand how evidence extracted from plea bargaining in the US can be considered safer than evidence obtained under torture. How can one who has been extradited possibly have a fair trial when this evidence can be used against them and they have no power to subpoena witnesses in their defence. The conditions in the jail reported by Chris Tappin are cruel and inhumane.

This is a very just campaign. The treaty is a horrible example of how successive governments have used public fear to pass terribly unfair legislation without proper scrutiny. It has led to the imprisonment of Babar Ahmad for nearly 8 (EIGHT!!!) years without trial, fighting extradition to the US and facing the prospect of life in solitary confinement there.... for running a web-site. This is not the Britain I want to live in. No-one could be proud to have any part of that.

I cannot believe the inhumanity and indignity the British Government are allowing Christopher Tappin to suffer. What is happening to him could happen to any one of us. No one in this country has any defence against any accusation levelled at us by US prosecutors. This is a very terrifying situation.

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another example of double standards. The UK grovels to the US on all things including extradiction. We would be better off taking up our natural place as Europeans and following their example. Particularly countries such as Norway and Sweden. The US has nothing to offer us.

• MuirchertachMuirchertach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People extradited from the UK to the US have no access to legal aid, are not remanded on bail (as they are deemed a flight risk) and appear in court in prison uniform with their hands and feet chained.

As US federal prisons are seen as and probably are, fearful places, people like Tappin opt for solitary confinement. This means only being let out of a permanently lit cell for an hour a day. This is described as torture by the UK in countries other than the US.

If the UK was asked to extradite anyone to any country other than the US, that treated people on remand in this way, the ECHR would object and rule the extradition unlawful.

Why is the US exempt from this judgement, why is the UK government allowing extradition into these terrible circumstances and why aren't the ECHR involved?

• Nick PNick P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To me this smacks of the blatant ever-increasing erosion of our civil liberties. Notice how when one party leaves power, the incoming party do nothing to correct these seemingly obvious mistakes? That's because a political party entering office is just a mask on the same face...this is not a democracy...there is no real choice...when you dig down deep enough, it is a two-party dictatorship...

• Vicky HancockVicky Hancock commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please raise the profile of this campaign. Another of our citizens extradited today - tomorrow it could be you or me, or our chldren. Its shameful.

• Mark TrentMark Trent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really should be a much higher profile campaign, it makes my English blood boil to read how a British pensioner has been seperated by British police from his wife of 36yrs, shipped off to a distant country whose prison and remand system is no better than most third world countries and all this while our lily livered politicians wipe thier hands like pontious pilate. We must as a nation instruct our representatives and most urgently to finally find the spine to tell the USA courts to stop this illegal hijacking of British citizens.

• NigelNigel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was outraged to see Mr Tappin extradited to the US yesterday. I am ashamed of this government that does not support and protect its own citizens . Tony Blair signed this treaty, and as we know, so often when it came to the wishes of America he put the opinions and safety of British Citizens second. The Coalition Government promised to look at this treaty, and have so far done nothing. This is a matter of some urgency when others could so soon suffer the same fate. For years America has been arming despots when it suited their purposes, it's laughable that Mr Tappin is now being victimised in this way over unsupported allegations of selling batteries!

This is shocking and what has happened to habeus corpus? As I understand it, this was as Bush -Blair knee jerk reaction to 9/11. Hague and May need to sort this urgently. Unbelievable. Banana Republic stuff.

• AndyAndy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What a farce this 'country' has become. We won't protect our own citizens and the government is even too weak to hold the UK together.

• IAmAIIAmAI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm incensed to hear that Richard O'Dwyer will be extradited over a website! I think 38 Degrees should step up in support of Richard O'Dwyer and end the US abuse of the extradition treaty.

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The legal system in the uk is a mess and most of the judges should be pensioned off. There is no such thing as justice. In the case of Gary, the USA should be asking themselves how an ordinary UK citizen could hack into their high level military systems. Surely this is a failure of their system. They should be thanking Gary for drawing attention to its weaknesses not trying to jail him. Keep Gary here I say and tell the USA to tighten up their security.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base