I suggest a campaign about ...

Prevent Margaret Thacher from having a state funeral

There is a proposal to give Margaret Thatcher a state funeral, when even Winston Churchill didn't get one. And it will be at the tax payers expense. Given the misery many thousands of people experienced under the Thacher Administration, I think we are in danger of having history re-written. Please can we campaign against it.

178 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alison DrummondAlison Drummond shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

33 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • LangoLango commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What sort of R-Soul throws dead bodies in the Thames??
        You petty silly people failed in your prevention....

It made many respectful people happy.as
        She was working-class, hard-working, and SAVED the country.... you Anonymous Twits

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop the gloss over that the mainstream media is (trying to) brainwash us with. She ruined the country and encouraged greed. Throw her in the Thames.

We need a campaign.

• c farrc farr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There was a joke doing the rounds a few years ago about Thatcher. If we give every man, woman and child who suffered under brutal right wing regime a spade we could dig her that deep we could personally hand her over to Satan.
        She was a vile leader who hated the working class, we must never forget the atrocities she committed.

• Alison WhitehouseAlison Whitehouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not want any public money to be spent on any politician's funeral, directly or indirectly, especially the funeral of someone so divisive. I would happily sign a petition against public funding of Thatcher's funeral.

As the architect of this country's current woes, anything but a private funeral is an obscenity. I would happily see her in a pauper's grave.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How about organising a counter-funeral - the death of british society - killed by Mrs. T

A state funeral for Margaret Thatcher is a totally unacceptable idea and, now more than ever, should be avoided at all cost.

• Susan OvertonSusan Overton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, Churchill DID have a state funeral!
        Thatcher is supposed to be having a ceremonial, military funeral, which will stillbe paid for by taxpayers! Let her millionaire cronies pay for it if they want to shed their crocodile tears on tv.

I for one do not want Margaret Thatcher to get a state funeral, why should the tax payer pick up the bill, after all the misery that she caused people, She sold off all the council houses so she could stay in power, so now very little social housing, Now Cameron is trying the same trick with mortgage
        Guarantees

no state funeral for the woman who caused the problems we are facing, for morons who go on about her and great, she goaded a war and sent men to die so she could become popular, and like virtualy everything she tainted with her vileness it has left a massive scar.

• Ron HowlandRon Howland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely she should NOT have a State funeral. Thatcher did more to destroy this country and the prospects of its school leavers than any one person since WW2. This proposal comes from Tory diehards looking after their own. No, non, no. She deserves a bin liner and the North Sea.

• Margaret ClarkeMargaret Clarke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why should the tax-payer shoulder the expense? This woman presided over a period which has left a terrible legacy-thanks to her inflexible, pig-headed policies. Let her beloved market forces see her off.The bankers could have a whip-round.

• Cardinal FangCardinal Fang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Better than banning a state funeral - how about privatising it?

In line with Thatcher's free market economic theories, funding of any state funeral should be 100% funded by private funding, as it is claimed that privatisation provides the best value for money for public projects...

• Lesley StablefordLesley Stableford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No state funeral. Her family should bury her without publicity and at their own cost, why should tax payers pay for it? I find the idea of a state funeral for this horrible woman totally repulsive and deeply offensive.

• John ParkerJohn Parker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Those who were born in the 1980s and 1990s are now reaping the poisonous fruits of the Thatcher years and have an uncertain future, economically and socially. For those of us who are older, the bitter memories are constantly brought back to mind - such as being stoppped at a motorway junction to be questioned and to have the car searched by the police at the height of the Miners' Strike.

For Thatcher to be granted the same accolade as Sir Winston Churchill is obscene and should, in my view, be vigorously opposed. Should these plans come to fruition, I would hope there would be, in parallel, a day of commemoration of the many, many evils which that woman has inflicted on Britain over the past 30 years.

The last time a politician was granted a State Funeral (in this country) was in 1965 for that of Sir Winston Churchill. To place Margaret Thatcher in similar territory is hugely disrespectful and deeply offensive. Disrespectful, because hundreds of thousands of hard-working people had their livelihoods, their hopes and dreams destroyed under her eleven-year reign – remembered largely for promoting the 'architecture of personal greed'. Offensive, because a State Funeral would besmirch the memory of those, including Churchill, who deserved the respect such an occasion bestows.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base