I suggest a campaign about ...

SAVE CORK STREET

Standard Life are putting part of their extensive property portfolio on Cork Street up for sale. This would destroy 7 art galleries including The Mayor Gallery which was the first gallery on Cork Street in 1925. Selling this huge development would destroy almost 90 years of history. Cork Street is renowned throughout the world as an art collectors paradise and clients come from around the world to come and see, and buy art there. Students come from around the UK to study there and its location to the Royal Academy make it a convenient and very central place for them to do so.

Destroying over half the street to make room for Bond Street fashion retailers and hedgefunding businesses would destroy what has become one of London's cultural heritages. Bond Street fashion can stay on Bond Street. Like Savile Row is famous for tailors, Cork Street is famous for Art. It has become a London landmark and we should leave it this way.

Please sign up and help petition against yet more corporate greed that will turn this cultural hub into yet another faceless and bland part of the city and help Cork Street maintain its position on the Art world map. Threatening to raise rents will also drive the galleries out. We ask for a substantial lease on these properties so that we can stay here for years to come.

Follow us on Twitter #saveCorkStreet

399 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    The Mayor GalleryThe Mayor Gallery shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

256 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jacqueline SimcoxJacqueline Simcox commented  · 

As an art dealer I value Cork Street as a renowned centre for art. It attracts wealthy collectors from all over the world, who also benefit out hotels, restaurants, taxis and many other UK businesses. If we undermine the UK art world we diminish the richness and diversity of life which is our culture.

• Fabio RossiFabio Rossi commented  · 

Another example of greedy developers with no concern for the cultural life of the city

• Jos RuijsJos Ruijs commented  · 

Keep the character of Cork Street authentic

• Thierry RenardThierry Renard commented  · 

Sad world where these kind of petitions need to be set up to state the obvious. As an artist of The Mayor gallery I fully support this campaign.

• John ChurchillJohn Churchill commented  · 

Cork Street and its galleries are one of the joys of London!

• Yota StrigopoulouYota Strigopoulou commented  · 

I support the campaign to maintain the character of Cork Street

Yota Strigopoulou

• Metzler PierreMetzler Pierre commented  · 

Each time I am in London I enjoy coming to Cork Street and admiring the great exhibitions and shows.

• Robert UpstoneRobert Upstone commented  · 

I support the campaign to preserve the integrity and character of Cork Street.

• Graham and Christine BensonGraham and Christine Benson commented  · 

Cork Street must remain the home of London's greatest collection of galleries and art inspired buildings and not be replaced by more boutiques , expensive bars and restaurants (we have the excellent and fine value Mulligan's on tap !) and other emporia already well catered for on the area. Our heritage must be defended .

• Martin SummersMartin Summers commented  · 

I support the campaign to keep Cork Street an Art Street

• Karin PadghamKarin Padgham commented  · 

Please help save this street's wonderful galleries and preserve its history and character

• Richard@MayoygalleryRichard@Mayoygallery commented  · 

Would be a great injustice to lose such an important part of London's art-world.

• The Mayor GalleryThe Mayor Gallery commented  · 

Galleries numbers 22 - 28 are all in jeopardy. We must act now to stop this from happening.

1 2 9 10 11 13 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base