I suggest a campaign about ...

SAVE CORK STREET

Standard Life are putting part of their extensive property portfolio on Cork Street up for sale. This would destroy 7 art galleries including The Mayor Gallery which was the first gallery on Cork Street in 1925. Selling this huge development would destroy almost 90 years of history. Cork Street is renowned throughout the world as an art collectors paradise and clients come from around the world to come and see, and buy art there. Students come from around the UK to study there and its location to the Royal Academy make it a convenient and very central place for them to do so.

Destroying over half the street to make room for Bond Street fashion retailers and hedgefunding businesses would destroy what has become one of London's cultural heritages. Bond Street fashion can stay on Bond Street. Like Savile Row is famous for tailors, Cork Street is famous for Art. It has become a London landmark and we should leave it this way.

Please sign up and help petition against yet more corporate greed that will turn this cultural hub into yet another faceless and bland part of the city and help Cork Street maintain its position on the Art world map. Threatening to raise rents will also drive the galleries out. We ask for a substantial lease on these properties so that we can stay here for years to come.

Follow us on Twitter #saveCorkStreet

399 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    The Mayor GalleryThe Mayor Gallery shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

256 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • anthony haden-guestanthony haden-guest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this should go forwards London will become less London, less worth living in. And certainly less attractive, even to those blinded with greed. It's not just a matter of the art world. It's to do with the soul of the city.

• Ann HindryAnn Hindry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cork Street should and must stay a place where one can see art in the center of the city. Life is not about clothes! They're all around already! Don't let London become a gigantic department store!

• Sally GethinSally Gethin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am very sorry to hear about these outrageous plans for Cork Street – we don’t want another sterile shopping mall thank you very much. What we want is London at its finest - and Cork Street is the finest place for international art.

• lucile van Veenlucile van Veen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i hate such a money situation based on money and nothing else
        Culture must be at all times subsidiesed by Fashion money and never the contrary

• Simon MartinSimon Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The importance of Cork Street to British (and international) art over many years should not be swept away in one highly unfortunate move. I very much hope that a solution can be found to maintain its position in the art world, and wholeheartedly support this campaign.

• Galerie van GelderGalerie van Gelder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't uncork Corkstreet causing complete evaporation of the arts amidst hedgefunding business priorities neglecting cultural diversities in one and the same area. Kees van Gelder

• Antony PenroseAntony Penrose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cork Street is an important historical site, and part of the world history of modern art. There must be a way of keeping it and still satisfying the requirements of the developers. Don't trash this essential part of our cultural heritage for just more retail - there is more than enough of that anyway.

• Patrick ElliottPatrick Elliott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I take 400 mile round-trips from Edinburgh to see shows in Cork St. I wouldn't cross the road to enter a posh clothes shop. It's a major international cultural landmark.

• Mathias PfaffMathias Pfaff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great place to come to...it has been a pleasure for decades.
        I really do hope, we can keep, C-street going!

Feedback and Knowledge Base