I suggest a campaign about ...

SAVE CORK STREET

Standard Life are putting part of their extensive property portfolio on Cork Street up for sale. This would destroy 7 art galleries including The Mayor Gallery which was the first gallery on Cork Street in 1925. Selling this huge development would destroy almost 90 years of history. Cork Street is renowned throughout the world as an art collectors paradise and clients come from around the world to come and see, and buy art there. Students come from around the UK to study there and its location to the Royal Academy make it a convenient and very central place for them to do so.

Destroying over half the street to make room for Bond Street fashion retailers and hedgefunding businesses would destroy what has become one of London's cultural heritages. Bond Street fashion can stay on Bond Street. Like Savile Row is famous for tailors, Cork Street is famous for Art. It has become a London landmark and we should leave it this way.

Please sign up and help petition against yet more corporate greed that will turn this cultural hub into yet another faceless and bland part of the city and help Cork Street maintain its position on the Art world map. Threatening to raise rents will also drive the galleries out. We ask for a substantial lease on these properties so that we can stay here for years to come.

Follow us on Twitter #saveCorkStreet

399 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    The Mayor GalleryThe Mayor Gallery shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

256 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Carl Hammer, Carl Hammer Gallery, ChicagoCarl Hammer, Carl Hammer Gallery, Chicago commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whenever I travel to London, my first and most important draw to that wonderful town is visiting the spectacular gallery neighborhood on Cork Street. It is legendary throughout the fine arts world, and it would be a devastating injustice to the cultural history of that wonderful city to have it marred by this careless act of destruction. I firmly believe such institutions as this street have no peers and should be regarded as historic sites and be protected against any notion of their demolition.

• caroline casscaroline cass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cork Street and its many fine art galleries is an important and charming corner of London, much loved by people interested in art. It should be preserved at all costs. We do not need any more retail shops and certainly no more hedgefunders.

• mark goodmanmark goodman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We very much object to Standard Life proposal which will totally destroy the nature and history of Cork Street

• Matt ArnoldiMatt Arnoldi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forget it - tell Standard Life to look at other ways to make money, or better still, Standard Life must have an Arts budget so might they be better off looking to tell shareholders and chief investors, we have an Arts initiative and its based on Cork St and then promote new youth arts projects through galleries in the street.

• Matt ArnoldiMatt Arnoldi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Forget it - tell Standard Life to look at other ways to make money, or better still, Standard Life must have an Arts budget so might they be better off looking to tell shareholders and chief investors, we have an Arts initiative and its based on Cork St and then promote new youth arts projects through galleries in the street.

• joel rockmanjoel rockman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be a disaster for the art world if the Cork St Galleries were forced to move elsewhere.

• Emily AustinEmily Austin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be a serious loss to London as a centre for art, central London soon to be a souless centre for fashion & money. Mayor of London please take note.

• MICHAEL BARKERMICHAEL BARKER commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let battle commence against the philistines, Cork Street must be saved from the invasion of fashion shops rapidly turning the West End into a cultural desert.

Feedback and Knowledge Base