I suggest a campaign about ...

A call for a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing in the UK

'The oil and gas industry is seeking to exploit UK onshore gas reserves trapped in shale rock and coal beds requiring environmentally damaging and risky techniques, including hydraulic fracturing (fracking). We, the signatories of this petition, call on the coalition government in Westminster, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Scottish Parliament to impose a moratorium, demanded by environmental groups and geology experts in the field, on shale gas, and on the related coal bed methane extraction industry, at least until the results of studies here, in other countries in Europe and in the US have been properly evaluated. Such moratoria are already in place in France, North Rhine Westphalia (Germany), New York State, New Jersey.'

6,011 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark GabbMark Gabb shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

966 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • suesue commented  · 

Lets hope the mine shafts dont 'end up causing subsidence from the fracking and causing landslides which are not uncommon in Wales ,remember Aberfan.

• suesue commented  · 

Living only .5 mile away from proposed site I can only feel devastated with the descision made by this government to allow drilling and overrulling the Welsh Government. What are we doing to this country!

• JPrestonJPreston commented  · 

Hi Anonymous,

I have posted this on another thread there is a higher risk given G. Osborne's announcement of a tax break to the fracking industry and the formation of DECC's Office of Unconventional Gas that it the industry will accelerate development in the UK pretty rapidly meaning more people will be exposed to this:

We need to put a stop to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k72j9A3OJU

From the 'Show More' section:

"Published on 30 Oct 2012

The Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA) are letting Australian gas driller Dart Energy self regulate!

Dart Energy have been pumping water and methane out of coal seams on a site at Airth near Falkirk for over 8 months now. Recent enquiries and FOI requests submitted to SEPA have revealed that they have not tested this water at any stage. When asked about the composition of the water SEPA freely admit that the only testing carried out is by Dart.

Dart have a licence to dump 300,000 litres of water per day into this tank which is then released via the pipe into the Firth of Forth."

• Anonymous commented  · 

When it is widely accepted that burning fossil fuels is a major contributor to global warming what on earth does the uk government think it is doing backing fracking and listening to John Browne (a senior government advisor) who has an interest in a fracking company ( see Guardian article earlier this week).

• Anonymous commented  · 

Uninformed comments from people with no real information on Fraccing or the benefits to the UK. Let's have a petition to support Fraccing so we get on with it.

• Melli fluousMelli fluous commented  · 

It is an abomination to all who hold the earth dear !

• FarmerFarmer commented  · 

I've been learning about this dangerous industry for two years now. Increasingly appalled as I learn more. We should not be searching for, and hoping to extract, the last dregs of fossilised gas by this destructive process from unconventional sources on-shore. Investments must go into renewables -- urgently -- for the sake of future generations.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Hello, I have signed the petition and I'm wondering if I'm right in thinking it only needs 300 signatures to be presented to parliament? It just seems like a small number?
        Gracie x

• Anonymous commented  · 

Dear Friends,

I just signed the petition "Stop the shale gas extraction by fracking" and wanted to ask if you could add your name too.

This campaign means a lot to me and the more support we can get behind it, the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition here:

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-shale-gas-extraction-by-fracking

Thank you!

P.S. Can you also take a moment to share the petition with others? It's really easy – all you need to do is forward this email or share this link on Facebook or Twitter:

http://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-shale-gas-extraction-by-fracking

Best regards,
        Pavlina Jackson

• Anonymous commented  · 

Shale gas fracking and the related coal bed methane process are completely incompatible with a country like Britain with a high population density. It is totally immoral to pump out carcinogens from flare stacks near to homes and schools. There is nothing wrong with new technology to solve the climate change problem but fracking is a useless and dangerous technology that should be banned outright. The myth of low gas prices is the biggest lie of all in a small country like the UK.

• Luke AshleyLuke Ashley commented  · 

Fracking will NEVER be safe. so a moratorium therefore, is simply not good enough. A TOTAL BAN is the ONLY way forward. We need forward thinkers, not fossil fools.
        BAN FRACKING NOW.
        Global Ban on Hydraulic Fracturing
        http://www.causes.com/FrackingBan

• patannepatanne commented  · 

Mad ,bad and dangerous to even contemplate fracking

• Seth Conrad CorvusSeth Conrad Corvus commented  · 

How is this even conceived as an option with all the known dangers. What I find mystifying is that nearly every UK report into fracking they only mention the possibilities of tremors as a side effect, yet the more serious implications of toxic damage from the non-degradable lethal chemicals that they use for the process seems to be wholly avoided. This has to stop, not just here but everywhere else in the world.

1 2 5 7 9 48 49

Feedback and Knowledge Base