I suggest a campaign about ...

A call for a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing in the UK

'The oil and gas industry is seeking to exploit UK onshore gas reserves trapped in shale rock and coal beds requiring environmentally damaging and risky techniques, including hydraulic fracturing (fracking). We, the signatories of this petition, call on the coalition government in Westminster, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Scottish Parliament to impose a moratorium, demanded by environmental groups and geology experts in the field, on shale gas, and on the related coal bed methane extraction industry, at least until the results of studies here, in other countries in Europe and in the US have been properly evaluated. Such moratoria are already in place in France, North Rhine Westphalia (Germany), New York State, New Jersey.'

5,981 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark GabbMark Gabb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

963 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The greed seems so blatant to me. Even the attempt to pay-off dissenters ('sweeteners' offered to people living in fracking areas) indicates that the corporations here judge others to be as blindly greedy as themselves. Hold out for the Truth, not £££.

• Bob reedBob reed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm totally flabbergasted by the governments enthusiasm towards fracking. Why doesn't the media ever ask the question about the chemicals used in this process. Surely it cannot be right to pump hydrochloric acid (along with many other chemicals) in the ground without there being detrimental consequences.
        Having spent a little time in Iceland and seeing first hand the use of geothermal technologies to produce carbon neutral electricity indefinitely, this must be the only way foreword to cover this country's energy needs.

• Lisa Lisa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Fracking is not the solution. It's frightening to hear that drilling licences have already been issued for possible fracking in the New Forest without the public's knowledge.

• Hannah BakerHannah Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Frack-off!!! Fracking poses huge dangers to the environment; infected water supplies, more methane in the air, earth tremors, etc. The paying-off of residents in Lancashire will cement just how corrupt these corporations are and we need to stand up to them and protest the very real threat of fracking.

• Mazza4321Mazza4321 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is disgusting, I can't believe that people still think of going ahead with this method in the current situation the world is in. Selfish government and greedy big wigs looking for cash regardless of the consequences. This method had been covered in the USA. ARE PEOPLE REALLY THAT ILLINFORMED? C'mon people don't let the promise of money go to your head support 'Frack-off' support humanity.

In a time when we should be moving to renewable and sustainable recourses this practice is shocking! It will destroy the land and environment around it, it must be stopped!

When will the government stop thinking about profit and start thinking about its people and the future?

The guy was playing a Banjo !!! You could not have been watching the same film as i . The mayor of Dish in America (so called as the gas company gave everyone a free dish for ten years as a sweetner ) said in film they wished they had never got involved . Whatch the film Gasland all those thousands of people who live with fracking cannot be wrong . Are we going to have a world left for future generations !!!

People everywhere just stand up and say no. Anywhere that Fracking is going on that you know about, go there, stand up and say NO! It poisons our water table, it poisons our land, it has been linked to earth quakes. It is not good - say No to Fracking!........

• simonsimon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I went to the last village meeting on this subject and went with an open mind to find out if and why fracking would affect me and our villages / communities.
        I was extremely disappointed to find a very one sided and angry commentary from a few activists who dont even live near here, where any open debate was immediately shouted down in the name of the environment and sustainability.

Cuadrilla had agreed to come to some of the village meetings to present their side of the story, but were shouted down and never even had the chance to speak. They subsequently refused to come to any more.

We were supposed to take it as given fracking is bad because some guy playing a mandolin told us so in a video.

The questions posed here is to wait for a moratorium on fracking. That means listening to both sides and making up your mind.

All i am saying is dont make up your mind until you have listened. If then you still feel strongly great. But at least listen before getting angry.

• Maxine TempleMaxine Temple commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The need for green sustainable energy should be high on our list of priorities,
        not trying to chase the last little bit of gas and oil that we have left by digging
        up and wrecking what's left of our planet! Greed driven insanity as usual.

Feedback and Knowledge Base