I suggest a campaign about ...

A call for a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing in the UK

'The oil and gas industry is seeking to exploit UK onshore gas reserves trapped in shale rock and coal beds requiring environmentally damaging and risky techniques, including hydraulic fracturing (fracking). We, the signatories of this petition, call on the coalition government in Westminster, the Welsh Assembly Government and the Scottish Parliament to impose a moratorium, demanded by environmental groups and geology experts in the field, on shale gas, and on the related coal bed methane extraction industry, at least until the results of studies here, in other countries in Europe and in the US have been properly evaluated. Such moratoria are already in place in France, North Rhine Westphalia (Germany), New York State, New Jersey.'

5,980 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Mark GabbMark Gabb shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

963 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Andrew PlattAndrew Platt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The shale gas "fracking" companies are on the move even faster since Osbourne granted them the massive tax break. However our countryside will be trashed if we don't stop it all together.

THe public are already protesting in their localities, we need a national movement against this.

http://gasdrillinginbalcombe.wordpress.com

• Chris LeeChris Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want to petition against fracking. We need to be more economical with the resources we already have and not leave the next generation to a dying planet.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

38 degrees needs to support the balcombe anti fracking campaigners, this is a test case in one of the last unspoilt parts of mid sussex a designated area of special scientific interest and outstanding natural beauty.

The powers that be are barking mad!!! We must unite and stand up before they kill us all, either intentionally or not!

Very concerned about this - so near to the South Downs, I believe this is an environmental disaster waiting to happen. Very dangerous practice.

• Lula Rose McGillLula Rose McGill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we have to get nationwide support in order to stop this environmentally barbaric thing from happening here...we cannot let those in control be in control anymore....they are proving themselves to be dangerous, the illusion that 'they' are working for us has disappeared, and is now becoming more and more obvious and transparent of their corruption and outright lies....we outnumber them 1 million to one. We must stand up and make our voices be heard....they cannot rape and pillage the land anymore, we have the technology to make free energy and to help to create a harmonious world that does not endorse environmental disaster and silent mass genocide of the people....that is what is happening silent mass genocide, led by America and supported by megalomaniacs on both sides of the Atlantic, Uk and the US...people need to wake up to this silent mass genocide of the populations.....

• jen forrestjen forrest commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is outrageous - it just proves that politicians and big business are so inextricably working together and for each others personal benefit to the detriment of all the 'ignorant and disposable peasant classes and every other living thing on the planet - I shall never put a voting paper in a ballot box again......I would be like a turkey voting for christmas. I shall put any energy and effort I have left after surviving - into joining my voice with others globally who are fighting the power....that's it. 'Community' - our political classes just have no real comprehension of the meaning of the word.....despicable,self interested halfwits who believe they are the bees - nope the bees are on their knees!

This cannot be allowed to happen. The impact on the local enviornment and wildlife will be immense.

• Matt MitchellMatt Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has to stop. Have we learnt nothing by following the USA!? It's even a US company carrying out the works, local employement sure, but the big bucks will end up going to the '1%ers', Cameron, Osbourne and Grant Shapps/Michael Green/Sebastian Fox(he's our Conservative Party Chairman and villain - google him). Maybe NWO plan for the 90%, poison ground water and then we die drinking it or have to pay extortionate prices - starbucks water shops! WHAT A MESS, DOWN TO GREED AND NOT RELEASING FREE ENERGY TO THE WORLD!!!

I can't believe how this is being railroaded over the community. I am deeply concerned that some of the most beautiful parts of our countryside will be ruined forever... along with all the other worries about contaminated water, earthquakes, etc. Notwithstanding the fact that there are a suspicious number of M.P.s with interests in this form of industry. We need to stop it now!

Today we hear that local authorities, and therefore local people, will have no say in whether a process - at best unsightly, at worst catastrophic to the environment - can go ahead. If the likes of Caudrilla can see a financial return in your area, fracking will go ahead. Perhaps those of us in rural areas with borehole water supplies have more reason than most to be concerned; perhaps everybody should be concerned.

• WilliamWilliam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can see all the arguments for. The pot at the end of the rainbow. Cheap energy, energy security, a more carbon efficient fuel. But in no way does that have any value against clean water and safe land to grow our food in. I dont believe a single word about this from people who say this is safe and tested. Rubbish! Not in our name!

Typical of politicians in the south to plan pollution and decimation of the North - to fulfill Southern over consumption - old fashioned jingoistic racism.

• Anne ReynoldsAnne Reynolds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why aren't they harnessing wave power? It's guaranteed 24/7 No damage to the earth structure, flora or fauna. No ugly wind turbines blighting our countryside either.

Has anyone put a petition on the government website? Once votes reach 100,000 they have to be discussed in the house of commons.

• Steve GoodmanSteve Goodman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I seriously doubt the wisdom of this; reducing consumption and developing clean renewable energy supplies has to be the only option, not further speculative suicidal destruction of our life support system.

• JACASTA GroupJACASTA Group commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We support the campaign to ban all fracking and fracking related exploration in the UK until there is incontrovertible proof that it can be guaranteed to cause zero harm to person or property.

• JPrestonJPreston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Osborne announces 30% tax rate for fracking industry as opposed to 62% for North Sea and 81% for older wells.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/19/george-osborne-tax-break-fracking-shale-environment

What is 38 degrees doing about pushing through a campaign against fracking? We have had these suggestions running for some time.

80% of the UK believe we should wean ourselves off fossil fuels - that is likely to be much higher against fracking with already strong opposition to fracking around the country.

Feedback and Knowledge Base