I suggest a campaign about ...

Inclusive Education & stopping Govt plans to increase the segregation of disabled young people

evidence shows that inclusive education benefits everyone. the coalition Govt is peddling the myth that there is a bias in favour of including disabled children and young people - NOT TRUE!
Inclusion benefits not only disabled learners but ALL learners

364 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TaraTara shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

154 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Where is the evidence that inclusive education benefits everyone. Selective inclusive education might do but anyone who thinks thinks that inclusive education of all children is always beneficial is just naive.

It matters not what the cause is, or how it's labelled if one child in a classroom disrupts the learning of others it hardly benefits everyone that's just common sense.

I really do not think it is necessary for me to justify or explain my opinion in any more detail for the benefit of any person with imagination.

Phil Thomson

• Tony FortTony Fort commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in an FE college that promotes inclusion. ALL students benefit from disabled learners being present. If we want an equitable society then people should be visible and participant not hidden away in special schools behind leafy facades.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I work in a mainstream school and every child with special needs that I have worked with has benefited from the mainstream environment and more importantly the other children have benefited from their presence.

• LolaLola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a disabled university student on our student council. I am hoping to put this thriugh our council as a motion so that as a student bosy we can officially support inclusive education. However, to do this I need some sources to evidence what's hapening. Where is there info about this?? I can't find anything to prove that this issue is even up for debate... Help please!!

• TaraTara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ALLFIE now has a number for our EARLY DAY MOTION which highlights the huge progress that has been made on inclusive education practice in schools since the 1981 Education Act. The EDM is a positive reminder to the Govt about the damage they will do if they ignore this - Please get your MP to sign up - http://www.parliament.uk/edm/2010-12/2481

• Julie McElroyJulie McElroy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Education and learning must be equal to all. We must keep focus on a vision to drive forward real, positive and sustained change. Disabled young people have the same talent as non disabled people and have ambitions.

• Michael SellarMichael Sellar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cameron is segregating our society. We must stop him from continuing to perpetuate prejudice & injustice

• Brian ConnollyBrian Connolly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is vital in todays society. Education must be applied at a level where it is going to benefit all. Introducing this will simply increase the segregation and prevent many people from achieving their full potential. Inclusive education is extremely important and should be maintained if not increased.

• Clare McFaddenClare McFadden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

the trouble with the government is that they are too high-brow they do not understand that because someone has a disability doesn't make them an alien or less of a human being... they put pen pushers in the top jobs who don't have a clue what they're doing! people who have a disability and have been through our education and care system should be the very people making the decisions about what resources go where for disabled people not these idiot pen pushers who have about as much knowledge about the subject of how to support disabled people properly as i do about football (trust me when i say i know nothing about football!)

• Clare McFaddenClare McFadden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

as someone who experienced discrimination right the way through my eduation, i feel it is thoughtless, hypocritical and completely wrong for our government to discriminate against disabled people, especially since we are allegedly supposed to have anti-discrimination laws! all too often people who have a disability are treated like second class citizens because they "cannot learn" well if you ask me that is a load of waffle! i am for educational inclusion HOWEVER it can't be forced it has to be done in the most appropriate way and teachers have to be trained adequately or classrooms have to be appropriately staffed in order to help children who have disabilities... most especially if there is an underlying health issue such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy which has to be monitored closely. I was fortunate enough to attend mainstream school but it also turned out to be a curse because it's not blindingly obvious that there is anything wrong with me on first glance. just because someone may not look like they have an issue does not mean that they do not have... first impressions are important but they can be deceiving also.
        another point i would like to make is that just because someone has a disability does not mean that they should be automatically pushed aside and given a limited education. there are times when the disability label masks the person's ability and that is disgraceful that it still happens in this day in age that is one thing that drives me to the point of distraction... and people wonder why i have no confidence in my abilities? it's because any confidence i ever had was SQUASHED out of me by the very people who should have been BOOSTING it!

• Marc R. SherlandMarc R. Sherland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All people deserve to be given the best chance possible regardless of perceived educational difficulties. Shame on you Cameron, more shame on you Clegg.

• dianadiana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time govenments looked at educating dyslexic children in methods in which they can learn. Not disabled... simply uncatered for... in our education system which finally leaves little choice in terms of employment. Consider Einstein; thought to be disabled yet with a misunderstood super brain and there are thousands of dyslexic children sent out of schools after years of 'TORTURE' beleiveing they are at fault.. come on guys get on it.

• Simone MeisznerSimone Meiszner commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree because I have a daughter with a mild disability that is so alone and no friends of her own. Inclusive everything would have given her a life but hate crime would then have to be tackled too.

• Mary-EllenMary-Ellen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Segregation leads to a broken society and fragented society; integration to a deeper respect and understanding between all sections of the community and a more cohesive society.
        I hope the Govt will see the sense of this and act upon it; sadly it seems they are focused on creating greater division and dissent instead!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base