I suggest a campaign about ...

Western Sahara: the need for UN human rights monitoring

On 30th April the UN will vote on whether to extend the mandate of the UN Peace Keeping force in Western Sahara to include human rights monitoring. Minurso, the UN mission for Western Sahara, has the dubious distinction of being the only contemporary peacekeeping mission without a mandate to monitor human rights and human rights defenders in the disputed territory are regular victims of arbitrary arrest, sexual violence, torture and "disappearance". Morocco opposes human rights monitoring and at the UN last year France was the key country to block its implementation.

Guaranteeing the human rights in the territory is seen as a requisite for creating conditions under which the long-awaited referendum on self-determination can be held. The referendum was the basis of the 1991 UN ceasefire agreement between Morocco and the Polisario Front, but has been repeatedly obstructed in the ensuing decades.

314 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Free Western Sahara NetworkFree Western Sahara Network shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

94 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • El waliEl wali commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a Sahrawi living in Laayoune The occupied territories I think the UN peacekeeping mission for Western Sahara (MINURSO) is just a touristic one they are here just to enjoy the Sahrawi landskapes and warm weather no more no less.if it doesn't have a mandate to monitor human rights of Saharawis then its presence in Western Sahara is useless.It's a Shame on the UN toward us and our universal right in self-determination.

• AmyAmy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All peoples should have the right to an established third party to monitor the abuses of human rights in their country.

• Shabana AbdoolShabana Abdool commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the point of having a UN peacekeeping mission for Western Sahara (MINURSO) if it doesn't have a mandate to monitor human rights? Guarding the basic human rights of Saharawis should be its primary objective, if not its only objective.

• Judith HarrisonJudith Harrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Enough is Enough! Why is this particular peacekeeping mission the ONLY one without responsibility for human rights monitoring. The Saharawis are being 'punished' on account of their determination to assert their rights to the AGREED UN referendum peacefully over so many decades .... Is the UN happy to delay/ defer on this issue until this region to also erupts into chaos and bloodshed, along with other North African and Middle Eastern countries? Would it be too cynical to suspect that European trade links with Morocco are deemed to be more important than human rights?

• David HughesDavid Hughes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first protest in northern Africa, started in Western Sahara. It was a peaceful protest until the Moroccan goverment, (backed by France) moved there troops in against the protesters. Western Sahara is being raped of its raw materials while most of its people have been displaced. UN human rights need to be put into Western Sahara, so the world can see all the wrongs that are being done to the Saharawis' people. The countries with invested intrest's ( thoes steeling raw materials), in Western Sahara should not be aloud to vote in the referendum. We can all see what is happing in Western Sahara, under occupation by Moroccan, backed by France, Spain and others. The first protest started out peaceful by the Saharawi people, l hope human rights monitoring is included, if not I can see another conflict erupting in northern Africa, and wounder which side the UN Security Council will take, or will it be bullied by the coalition forces once again.

• Danielle SmithDanielle Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How long do the Saharawis have to endure daily abuse? How much do they need to suffer both under Moroccan occupation and in the harsh desert refugee camps, in Algeria, before the world starts to care and stand up for their human rights? Indifference, silence and double standards are the Saharawis' worst enemies. Let's see if UN member states and those ruling the Security Council can do the right thing at last and work in earnest to find a just and democratic solution to this protracted conflict in Western Sahara.

• JanaJana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

FREE SAHARA! And protection of the Human Rights for all Saharawis

• Rossellan LonghiRossellan Longhi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alla luce dei grandi cambiamenti in atto, è ancora più doveroso garantire lo svolgimento del referendum nel Sahara Occidentale ed è ancora più vergognoso che il Marocco sia lasciato libero di reprimere la popolazione saharawi.

• Sabrina GiarratanaSabrina Giarratana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

La Minurso, Missione delle Nazioni Unite per il Referendum nel Sahara Occidentale, è una presenza ipocrita nel Sahara Occidentale, che ben rappresenta l’ipocrisia dell’Onu rispetto alla questione sahrawi. O la Minurso se ne torna a casa e rende palese il suo fallimento, visto che in tanti anni non è riuscita a organizzare il referendum per l’autodeterminazione del popolo sahrawi e a portare a termine il suo mandato, oppure resta nel Sahara Occidentale e dà un senso alla sua presenza e ai costi enormi della sua missione occupandosi finalmente della difesa dei diritti umani del popolo sahrawi. Il popolo sahrawi è un esempio luminoso di resistenza pacifica, al di là di ogni umana capacità di sopportazione, che andrebbe sostenuto e difeso da tutti i governi del mondo che si dichiarano civili e democratici.
        Sabrina Giarratana

• Jose NascimentoJose Nascimento commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes it's long overdue that The UN should monitor human rights in Western Sahara.My question why has it not been done in all these decades? who is scared of it? Obviously the violent perpetrators.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i saharawi stanno "urlando" da anni la possibilità e la voglia di risolvere un conflitto in modo pacifico per ottenere quello che gli aspetta come diritto, cosi come dichiarato dall'ONU, con piena e totale dignità per entrambe le parti.
        auspico che le orecchie tappate dell'occidente sappia presto cogliere questa opportunità, che è tale per tutti.

• Rosemary StowRosemary Stow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THe UN has failed to protect the Human Rights of the Saharawi people who have taken part in PEACEFUL protest for 20 years. Their human rights need protecting. This is paramount.

• salek il geniosalek il genio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

bisogna permettere ul referendum per i diritti umani nel sahara occidentale perchè anche il popolo saharawi ha il diritto di parola,pensiero, stampa,associazione e in quanto dicchiarato dai diritti umani stipolata dopo il regno di re sole il popolo saharawi si appella ai grandi ideali della rivoluzione francese chiedendo di poter essercitare i proppri diritti come ogni popolo su questo satellite dell'universo,senza sanzioni violente da parte del regime marocchino.il referendum dovrà essere controllato unicamente dal consiglio dell'uno e i rappresentanti del fronte polisario grazie a tutti voi

• saharawi.omarsaharawi.omar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bisognare garantire tutti i diritti al mio Popolo Saharawi nella sua TERRA il SAHARA OCCIDENTALE. è vergognoso che il MINURSO non interviene alle torture e distinzione della case saharawi ogni giorno.! Il Marocco viola ogni giorno i diritti umani nel Sahara Occidentale ed l'ONU ......... svegliati !!

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base