I suggest a campaign about ...

Fight a ban on feeding the homeless

Westminster council want to introduce a bylaw effectively making it illegal to provide food to the homeless, including fines being handed to those who break this law. This is an appaling move, especially when the 'Big Society' is being touted as a method of solving social issues like this.

66 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DamnRatbellyDamnRatbelly shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Christine WilliamsChristine Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a re-run of forbidding outside relief by the parish to give a shilling for a loaf of bread when the Tories and Liberals (now called Lib Dems) enacted the New Poor Law, so as to force people into the workhouse that killed 5 million in the 19th century.
        Everyone could be fed every day in the UK if politicians were not in the way. See how: http://theswansnewparty.blogspot.co.uk/p/my-pages-on-hunger-in-uk-index-to-blogs.html

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this does go through, I think we should go to Westminster on mass and exercise civil disobedience against it. Feed the homeless regardless. It is another step too far.

• Lilia PattersonLilia Patterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What happened about this, did it just get a few comments, or did it get an actual campaign or what? Surely it is against international laws of human rights to starve homeless people, and a form of war crime against them and their human rights, and collective punishment against homeless people, for being poor and homeless, which would probably be classifiable also, as a war crime against homeless people. Please let me know what happened in relation to this campaign, because it is surely illegal in international law, to ban people from feeding homeless, apart from being cruel, and heartless, and irresponsible of people who are supposed to be in 'government' to represent the best interests of the 'collective good' including homeless people, rather than for the purposes of acting like cruel, evil Fascists, instead. I doubt very much that anyone was voted into "power" under the guises of coming up with laws, to prosecute people from feeding poor people. I would consider the acts of whoever created this law, as negligence, of their responsibilities as representatives of the 'people' instead.

• JudeJude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People who voted in this government have a very short memory. Tories will never behave with any more compassion for the poor and disadvantaged than they ever have in history! Why don't people learn?

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It makes you wonder where we are going as a society. It is awful. Clearly the council are trying to ensure that homeless people stay away from Westminster. This country becomes more inhumane by the minute.

They can afford to replace Trident missiles on our submarines though!
        This is indeed a total scandal

• TanyaTanya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a total scandal, are people supposed to starve to death on the streets. In addition, if people do become desperate, they will end up committing crime, even violent crime because of they would be starving. The government seems to think more of foreign countries and their citizen's human rights, before looking at our own country. They should start practicing what they preach and start looking after our own people before telling other countries how to look after their citizens.

This is one of the most inhumane things I've ever heard! Do you think they are hoping the homeless will all die of starvation and therefore not be a problem anymore? The mind boggles.

• IzziIzzi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How does the government imagine they can maintain this? What are you going to do to the kind child who gave the homeless man her leftover sandwich, or the guy who runs the soup kitchen out of the goodness of his own heart? The budget cuts the coalition government are currently enforcing are leading to massive job losses, which leads to some people being unable to maintain rent and, if they don't have a friend or relative they can stay with, have to do the unthinkable - as in part this is the government's own fault, they should not penalize those who cannot help their situation.

• Paul BrightPaul Bright commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is so little help for the homeless. Indeed councils will do everything they can to deny that you are homeless in the first place. Give generously to those you see on the streets. This terrible council plan must be stopped.
        They need to be finding homes for people and giving out food to the homeless, not making up inhuman laws. Westminster council is a disgrace.

Feedback and Knowledge Base