I suggest a campaign about ...

Save Our Lollipop People

Local Authority cuts are threatening the School Crossing Patrol Service which sees our children safely across the road. If we allow this service to go just to save money children will start being injured and killed we must make it plain that this is a cut too far. The government must step in and stop the Local Authorities doing away with a service that has been in place for 57 years. Please vote.

229 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Helen ToftHelen Toft shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

47 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • R D DaviesR D Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our Lollipop people get paid a pittance for doing an invaluable job of ensuring the safety of our Children. They also suffer frequent abuse from drivers who feel their valuable time is taken when they have to stop for a few seconds and from those parking parents who flout the safety markings at the crossings and outside schools. Our School crossing patrols are performing an essential service and it should be treated as such. As for 'learning the consequences of not crossing safely' and 'being weary [sic] of cars as well of people', I'm sure there would be quite a few people/children in Hospital who lack the knowledge and sharpness needed to cross a busy road at rush-hour if it wasn't for our Lollipop people.

• LaurenLauren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Children are been taught to cross roads safely...by the crossing patrol people who are there to assist the children and teach them how to cross safely. So you'd rather a child was injured so it could learn to 'look sharp and learn the consequences'? This is exactly why campaigns have to be set up so good people can save their jobs and help others when other people have nothing good to say.

• Beatrice KoganBeatrice Kogan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Children should be taught to be crossing the road safely without the help of an assistant and to look sharp and learn the consequences of not crossing safely.
        How do they manage to cross the road away from the school vicinity then?
        Life is about looking sharp and being weary of cars as well as of people.
        Learning and looking sharp is what they should do.
        Beatrice Kogan

Beatrice Kogan

• loulou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

our lollipop ladies protect our children...lets now protect them!

• LizziepopsLizziepops commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 4 children and two hands. I know that the school crossing patrol will "field" any of my kids if they run off. A pelican crossing does not know the names of children and cannot call out to or grab a child who steps out when the lights beep and a car has busted the red. I helped to campaign to keep the jobs of the SCPs in my area (Barnsley) and we won. For now, but we won't give up until we've ensured the roles are permanent. This service is not only valued and necessary, it's crucial!

• Linda DavisLinda Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our local school desperately needs it's Lollipop Person, the children need to cross on a very busy road and it is essential to keep this service which actually costs a tiny fraction of local Government spending and can potentially save so many lives.

• Colette WoodColette Wood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was a member of the campaign team in Hoyland Common, Barnsley with Gill Snell (our lollipop lady). We won our campaign but will continue fighting to ensure that our lollipop ladies will always have a job. They are so important for ensuring the safety of our children!

• Gill SnellGill Snell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We ran a campaign for 5 weeks I am a crossing patrol for Hoyland Common Sheffield Rd and i was to lose my job on the 3rd May this year we got a huge campaign going holding meetings , getting a petition and constantly being on radio, tv and newspapers. Yesterday we won our fight as the council gave me my job back, it just shows you if you fight people power works. I'm passionate about my job and there is no price on a childs life no amount of money can be more important than a childs life.

• Lian ShepherdLian Shepherd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

after campaiging so hard in our area it was ignored still not given up will pass this on to all our patrols

• Richard SeysRichard Seys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Childrens lives are priceless. The cost is miniscule in the overall picture of a Counties total budget.

• stef stef commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

do we really want to save money instead of lives...NO. keep the lollipop patrols.

• Tony VirgTony Virg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Putting childrens lives on the line to save money says it all about this coalition.

Feedback and Knowledge Base