I suggest a campaign about ...

A campaign to stop the abolition of Disability Living Allowance - the measure of civilised society.

DLA is by the DWP's own admission at least 20% under claimed and maybe as much as 40%. It is subject to a misinformation campaign by the Condems and their allies in the gutter press. Its abolition and replacement is nothing but a cost cutting exercise by the Condems and will cause huge suffering to disabled people and their carers. The abolition for DLA for those in care homes is positively cruel and should be opposed by everyone with a social conscience.

6,327 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    mikeob2mikeob2 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Johnny ChattertonJohnny Chatterton shared a merged idea: A campaign to stop the abolition of Disability Living Allowance - the measure of civilised society..  ·   · 

652 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KatieKatie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am disgusted by Atos' cynical sponsorship of the Paralympic games.

• RoseRose commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anyone concerned after watching last nights programme should sign Pat's Petition which aims to have a debate on Parliament and is asking for a pause to save disability benefits and services, and has now 40,787 votes but still has a long way to go - http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/20968

• LindaLinda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a lot going on Facebook sites, petitions and information going around. I have signed a petition from scope, so it's trying to keep the pressure on

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dispatches especially & Panorama showed up the true story last night re getting the sick/disabled off Incapacity Benefit onto work related benefits by testing them fit for work when many are most certainly not able to even look for work let alone well enough, able enough or reliable health wise to hold down work.
        By putting such people into the work related groups they need to comply with the rules of searching for & attending whatever the DWP ask of them otherwise they are deemed not trying as labelled wrongly fit for work & lose benefit as unable to do as required as in wrong group. Appealing is getting harder as cuts to Legal aid for benefit claimants & backlogs mean delays in decisions & the right help, local sewrvices are taken away despite you needing such as you are deemed fit for work, so technically no longer disabled/very sick. Next year April 2013 Disability living allowance will chance to PIP Personal Independence Payment & all on DLA will be retested despite a 0.5% fraud rate half a percent! to be tested in much a similar way to the Dispatches programme maybe by ATOS as they are tendering for some of the work too. the points system will again fail many who will lose DLA as it goes to PIP & they will not get the points needed despite alreadfy getting DLA now for related disabilities/long term dibilitating sickness. Losing this will mean they lose their means of transport as no money to pay for it, lose their care, help, assistance as no money to pay for it, rely heavily if they have family on them whether they have to work too & can give extra time juggling their own need to work to pay their bills & keep their family member fully & care too, elderly/sick carers totally, no respite for either. Lose their support to replace, buy equipment that makes life bearable, a little easier. or possible.Put strain on poorer families who will have to take up the slack as they lose independence as individuals in own right, the ones with no one, well what happens to them! become prisoners in own accomodation as cannot afford to pay taxi's, for mobility cars adapted to suit their disabled need as lost mobility allowance with new PIP. The ones that rely on this as able to work a bit & have some kind of work to go to will lose their help with their rented adapted car & unless earn loads of money won't afford to buy their own adapted cars so will become reliant on carers, family, friends to take them to hospital or work, not always an option for many & housebound is what will happen to many. the problems in doing this spell disaster for many & for local already pressurised local services. Many will fall under the radar, especially those alone or with elderly parents, families on low income, unemployed. Potential for great harm here on top of the Dispatches programme. Already losing ESA & being told fit for work when very often not, to lose DLA which tops up to give a little extra to cover costs for help/equipment we able bodied do not need but is essential to people with disabilities, this is wrong, dangerous, lower rate is £19.50 a week to seek help,equipment. Many will lose this meager lifeline & the ones needing the mobility component & higher rate as more disabled & in need will be left stranded. And no one hardly shouts on here!

Sadly I to wonder if it will be twisted somehow as it's a two fold issue in that the system used also helps error to be made more easily & that would definetly be a more favoured outcome to back up all the rhetoric.

• cliffordclifford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i am quite sure panorama and dispatches will have a certain amount of government pressure by way of a third party to cut and edit the government are condoning atos and won't want egg on there face at some part it will be twisted into them scroungers again be great if it went the other way but won't be holding my breath
        the 38degrees team just seem to be mailing people for backing things they deem important and get good media coverage i think they may be losing sight of the ideals that started this site

• LindaLinda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have sent an email to 38 degrees about ESA and ATOS, will see what happens. Dispatches on channel 4 and panorama on the bbc are looking into ESA and ATOS, just hope they are for and not against !

i know i am afraid it looks like people are accepting taking it up the backside once again still i will keep going maybe 1 day they will listen probably when it happens to them sad really but thats the way its going

I don't think staff see, that re self service or don't care! Local smaller ASDA staff are told to not open main till if no one wants cigarettes & push self service, they have to offer to do it for you. I go in with small children & always refuse on two grounds one it's hard keeping eye on them at self service area as till area more contained & two like you it's aimed at less staffing eventually when all us 'customers' know how to use them. I am a customer I want serving at the till. They try but I won't budge on this, I asked them why on more than one occasion. Hope the union does take off. something is needed. Community spirit is dying in many places. I'm actually glad I have no Grandchildren yet as what a world to now have to grow up in! that makes me sad but it's how I feel.

quite right all the self service tills in supermarkets i won't use them because it will put people out of work people can't or won't see the big picture the community spirit has all but gone no wonder the government mocks and sneers at us they may be wrong but the rich stick together thats how they are winning despite being wrong gets frustrating does'nt it anonymous will have news of peoples union on friday i go to meeting at 1 in afternoon with there blessing i hope to start advertising there existance

I signed it Clifford, if everyone as I commented a few days back had if possible kept their milkman/woman the supermarkets woild never have been able to take such a hold, people do it to selves support monopolies & then you get this which 38degrees is asking for comments on Asda. I commented on a post asking for it to be a next campaign saying people can email, boycott & tell them they are going to to put own pressure on. I'm now assuming 38degrees were inundated recently with personal emails as question on this put up? wasn't on facebook in number so whats the point of facebook page except to fight your own battles by informing!

it always seems to be a small group of us banging the drum on this and other issues relating to disablement and the savage cuts we face and to be honest very little support from the team ie getting people to vote on this issue they seem very quick asking you to vote on issues they deem important i fear 38degrees are getting a bit 1 sided now any campaign no matter how small in peoples minds deserves maximum attention start from the bottom up not the top down

If every person signing the Olympics Tax petition, all who comment & shout how clever we are, signed Pats epetition if not done so, because they found out how people are through no fault of own in need of more help than your average Jack or Joe & are having it all taken from them & struggling in every direction now & more to come in 2013, 40,000 would be reached this weekend for sure. Just a case of taking a look, seeing wrong in this too & standing up for fellow man/woman & child with disabilities who will become an adult, whats their future! Let alone the disabled/very sick adults now losing money for care, help, equipment & support.

the basic truth is people have been selfish for to long sod you jack i'am ok not my problem till it happens to me and that attitude is exactly why the government sneer and mock they know we have no unity lets just say if all 38degrees members were asked by the team please put 1 vote on pat onions petition and they did 500.000 would not be a surprise thats how big petitions could be on each and every campaign if people started to think stop this before it happens to me to many campaigns in peoples head i campaign 1 big vote move on to next 1 i have suggested this to the team amongst other things but no responce back on this matter the site has gone stale

Pats Petition is growing just slowly, but it's hard to spread word & convince people. also I think some may think petitions are a waste of time or maybe scared to put name to an official one. My view is a petition spreads word of injustice, wrong & gains support so whats to lose to keep promoting where you can. it does get harder, 39,690 have come together in support, 100,000 is alot of people to find. Doesn't mean they all don't care, maybe just don't know or believe what is happening. Life demands so much of everyone these days, much damage has been done re media, papers especially. Those I've talk to, ordinary folks have many misconceptions, believe what they read, don't connect themselves to issues at all. Depressing & scary people are so disconnected about other fellow human beings. Time too plays a part for many reasons. Keep doing what you are able to at least you are trying. Maybe more will join in, i think the other Anonomous hit the nail on the head, people affected are tired, don't think anything will change or are scared, many for sure are to ill, many are caring, working. I'm going to email too, small seeds may just get spread by someone who can take it further. You can only giver it a try, take care.

hello again i have e mailed a few sites with the join together to build up votes idea but no reply as yet i think it is the way to go but its up to sites admin to respond in a positive way i have just started petition on avaaz stop the old sick injured and disabled of western countries baring the brunt of savage cuts in the name of austerity and asked sites to back and vote but nothing yet people in general seem to avoid petitions about the disabled pat onions made me lose all faith in people but you can't force people to do the right thing

Hi Linda,
        What have you posted & what is it called? please. I've looked through there are so many campaign ideas, can't see a new one re this. Please advise. May be worth emailing all the groups involved in or known about to put that idea of joining together even if only to act as one on actions & individual campaigns to boost numbers as it seems logical to me that combining on actions would make a stronger campaign. DPAC & Spartacus, CarerWatch to name a few, I support them as best can, maybe others do to?

• Linda JonesLinda Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The post is hard to find. It is supposed to be under poverty and welfare. I could only get access under all ideas. What can I do?

Feedback and Knowledge Base