I suggest a campaign about ...

'New nuclear' energy: the great green rip-off

The government has told us that we need more nuclear power stations to combat climate change. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Nuclear power is incredibly expensive and incredibly dangerous. The New Economics Foundation estimates that to pay for building new reactors and processing their waste, nuclear power providers could increase our electricity bills by almost three times the industry estimate. So that's a hike from £45 a quarter to around £100.

Opting for ten new nuclear power plants is a quick fix solution that will leave us with a terrible legacy of cancer-causing radioactive waste that nobody knows what to do with.

If nuclear power is allowed to get a grip on the energy sector now it could kill off any hope of a viable, affordable market in truly renewable forms of energy.

Reports by Greenpeace, the New Economics Foundation, the Sustainable Development Commission, the Centre for Alternative Technology and many other respected organisations have outlined strategies for future energy provision that does not include nuclear power.

WE HAVE TO STOP THIS NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

We want a future, not a disaster.

1,593 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nancy BirchNancy Birch shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

393 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe U235Joe U235 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nuclear power is a viable option and should not be over looked by people who have seen recent reports in the news. When managed properly it can be a safe and reliable source of power.
        In Britain we will be de-commisioning many nuclear reactors in the near future , that will mean we will have to burn much more fossil fuel to fill the gap in energy required.
        The burning of more fossil fuels will pollute the environment and use up valuable resources that can only be used once.
        Solar and wind WILL NOT be able to fill the gap left from nuclear but only supplement another more reliable power generation method which does not yet exist.
        To the people that think that nuclear should not be used feel free to stop using electricity any time you want. Or even better only use power when the wind blows and the sun shines. I know I couldn't. I bet you won't either!

• JudeJude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the things that interests me most is the fact that Japan is having trouble with the stored nuclear waste. Quite apart from the madness of actually producing it in the first place, we have no idea as yet of how to deal with the waste. Plus the ever present likelihood of human error.
        We can't sit here and say how stupid they were to build the plant on a fault line in a country prone to earthquakes. Britain has earthquakes! Small ones I know, but there have been bigger ones in Britain's geological history, than in recent years, and could be again...at any time.
        We have to stop them building more nuclear power stations
        I agree with Dominic, invest in a safer, cleaner future for all.

• Dominic SmithDominic Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do we drag our heals with renewable technologies and investment into this science! We need to view this as an opportunity for the UK to lead the way, not an excuse to rely on this now dated technology-one look at the recent terrible events in Japan and the Fukushima Daiichi's nuclear power station makes you realise that we need to invest money, time and initiative into a safer, cleaner future for all!

please sign this petition until 38 degrees raises one;

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/petitionagainsthinkleycaug2010/

• Angela PaineAngela Paine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nuclear power is dangerous. Uranium mining destroys the environment. Nuclear waste is the most toxic legacy that human kind has ever created. We must put a stop to it NOW

• Andrew CrowAndrew Crow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To Callan I would say that Nuclear is no more or less safe than it ever was, but maybe the management of the danger is better than it was. We do understand it better, but the Japanese experience is that understanding doesn't necessarily put out the fires, and inevitably we will always have to deal with plant that is older than would be ideal. Events in Japan today cast serious doubts on the viability of ensuring adequate back-up facilities in the event of major failure of systems (however caused). On balance Nuclear power generation is high risk and the cosequences of mistakes are not something that can be dealt with by throwing money at the problem.

The economic viability of nuclear generation is something which is still not calculable. That, with the best will in the world, makes a methodical cost-benefit analysis impossible. And that's before you consider the price that can be put onto human lives lost......

On balance I have to favour the 'anti' position.

• oRNELLA sAIBENEoRNELLA sAIBENE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We cannot contain the destructiveness of nuclear power, we have ageing nuclear power plants to shut down and absolutely no solution for the safe disposal of nuclear waste, we could be going through what the Japonese people are going through. In 1999 for example HinkleyB's reactor lost power for three hours, because of a storm....we as humans cannot control the damage that radiation once released can do.. we have already created huge uninhabitable areas and terrible deformities through the use of civil and military nuclear based technologies and weapons....isn't it time we learnt our lesson. Also economically and environmentally the whole nuclear power debate from the government, multinational electric companies and DECC is full of deception, these people are robbing generations of our common future.

Callan, you gave me my first really good laugh of the day! Nuclear energy cannot change. It is dangerous full stop. Why do you think they make bombs with it? In a few years time, ask all the Japanese people suffering from cancer, if they think nuclear power is not as dangerous as it used to be.!! The mind boggles. There is a saying,,,,"There are none so blind as those who do not want to see..."

John Graham, I do have an open mind, and I also have common sense. It says a categorical NO to Nuclear power. Nuclear power has no benefits for any sane person.

• John GrahamJohn Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Japan is a disaster, but a disaster created in 1974 when someone decided to build a Nuclear Power Station on the point four tectonic plares come together. It is more a miracle that it hasn't happened until now. One might ask what they are doing storing Plutonium there. However don't throw out modern and better technology because of a worn out badly sited Japanese Power station. After Three Mile Island we lost thirty years of development in the UK. That is why most of our reactors are due for decommissioning. Hopefully Fusion Reactors will be the future. No-one really knows, but if we over react now we may never find out and live in fuel poverty for the future because of that. Nearly all renewables have a intermittancy problem. Tidal only works ten hours per day, wind only when the wind blows and wave has similar constraints. Solar only when its daylight. Bio-mass can take land which should be producing food. The tales go on. A diverse energy portfolio will be needed and some nuclear may well be part of that portfolio. Is it economical? Previous Nuclear were built as part of a nationalised industry. No money was kept aside for decommissioning. I think on costs, the jury is out. Yes, pressure groups say "no" but they would wouldn't they.
        Keep an open mind.

• obsoletetechobsoletetech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Recent events in Japan have proved to the world the dangers of Nuclear Power Stations. It is cheap clean power when it is working properly, but no-one knows how many leaks occur, or accidents happen. The power companies cover this up. One only has to look at how increased cases of leucaemia occur close to nuclear facilities. When you take into account the huge costs involved in reprocessing spent fuel rods and disposing of nuclear waste, as well as decomissioning old technology power stations, it isn't cheap energy at all. We are proposing more nuclear power stations to provide for our sometimes wasteful use of power, at the expense of future generations who will have to cope with containing and cleaning up our mistakes.

• oRNELLA sAIBENEoRNELLA sAIBENE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The people pushing the Nuclear agenda, the government DECC and EDF and all the other nukiller companies should be taken to court for lying to the public, failing to protect public health, and completely taking the proverbial p out of the democratic process

• Dave at Vote For YourselfDave at Vote For Yourself commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cheers Anonymous for your insightful comment. I'm sure you're right and that modern nuclear plants are safer. Trouble with nuclear power is you only have to be unlucky once and Chernobyl is estimated to have affected 500,000 people ie half a million people may develop cancers as a direct result. Yep, let's have more nuclear!

As explained in an earlier post, given the freedom to Vote For Yourself using the Internet, I bet the public would rather spend the budget allocated for more nuclear plants to build lots of solar panel factories and train the unemployed to install them.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_and_radiation_accidents

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We should follow the lead of Germany who want to turn their backs on nuclear power.
        They are able to do this as they have invested in renewables in the past. We must start to invest real money (and jobs) in renewable energy provision.

Huge technological advances have been made in areas that are market driven and have real money behind them (e.g. mobile phone technology in the last few years) - this could have and should happen for renewable technology!

With real investment they will become more and more efficient. If we take a long term view, we really don't have any other option!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The new generation of nuclear power stations is far safer and less environmentally damaging than alternative forms of energy that can foreseeably supply us with our needs

• Eve ClarksonEve Clarkson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Stop all development of nuclear power stations in the UK, NOW.
        The unfolding catastrophe in Japan is surely proof enough that it is not safe? We are sleepwalking into hell if we allow multinationals to 'own' our world.
        Develop alternative energy and provide significant investment in local projects.

• paulpaul commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

its not safe, its not clever. we must stop this for future generations <3

• D. ViesnikD. Viesnik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My thoughts are very much with everybody in Japan during these awful times. It makes me sick to my stomach that even after Chernobyl, Windscale, Three Mile Island, Kyshtym, and now Fukushima, there are those who still think nuclear power should be part of our energy mix.

Feedback and Knowledge Base