I suggest a campaign about ...

'New nuclear' energy: the great green rip-off

The government has told us that we need more nuclear power stations to combat climate change. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Nuclear power is incredibly expensive and incredibly dangerous. The New Economics Foundation estimates that to pay for building new reactors and processing their waste, nuclear power providers could increase our electricity bills by almost three times the industry estimate. So that's a hike from £45 a quarter to around £100.

Opting for ten new nuclear power plants is a quick fix solution that will leave us with a terrible legacy of cancer-causing radioactive waste that nobody knows what to do with.

If nuclear power is allowed to get a grip on the energy sector now it could kill off any hope of a viable, affordable market in truly renewable forms of energy.

Reports by Greenpeace, the New Economics Foundation, the Sustainable Development Commission, the Centre for Alternative Technology and many other respected organisations have outlined strategies for future energy provision that does not include nuclear power.

WE HAVE TO STOP THIS NOW BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

We want a future, not a disaster.

1,593 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nancy BirchNancy Birch shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

393 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JudeJude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The truth is always kept from us.....

Chernobyl

“The ‘liquidators’ have formed a survivors’ organisation. The membership keeps decreasing, not from lack of interest on the part of the members, but because they are dying. To date, approximately 13,000 of these special men have died. Almost 20% of these were suicides. This is 20 times higher than the international average. A further 70,000 are estimated to be permanently disabled” – Adi Roche, ‘Children of Chernobyl, 1996

http://www.nosweat.org.uk/story/2011/04/21/forgotton-workers-chernobyl-nuclear-disaster-1986

There have been two spillages of radioactive waste and a breakdown in an emergency cooling system at Britain's nuclear plants in the last three months, according to a report to ministers leaked to the Guardian. A brown puddle containing plutonium five times the legal limit leaked from an old ventilation duct at the Sellafield nuclear complex in Cumbria. This exposed "a number! of shortfalls in the design", says the report. Groundwater at the Torness nuclear power station near Edinburgh was contaminated with radioactive tritium (an isotope of hydrogen) leaking from two pipelines. At Hartlepool nuclear station on the north-east coast of England, the backup cooling system was put out of action by a faulty valve.

Guardian 20th April 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/apr/20/radioactive-spills-breakdown-british-nuclear-plants

That is a stupid argument! Saying all that about oil spills does not make nuclear any more attractive or safe.
        Don't patronise. You are not a superior being. Perhaps if you did feel some emotion you might see how immoral nuclear power is.
        I've heard the argument about everything being radioactive so many times. There is no comparison. Even an emotional being like me knows that much science. It's what the pro lobby trot out to scare us all into submission.
        I don't drive a car. I use my feet.
        If this isn't a time to be emotional then I lose all faith in human nature. I have grandchildren who deserve to have a safer future without the threat of new nuclear power stations on their doorsteps putting fear into their lives.
        Emotional or not, nuclear power is pure madness.

• MetricisBritishMetricisBritish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Marianne Birkby - are you holding the same views against oil? Deepwater Horizon, Exxon Valdez et cetera? Chernobyl was the worst nuclear accident to ever occur and Windscale and Fukushima are nowhere near that magnitude. Yet oil spills are happening every single year. The number of oil spills over the past 60 years is staggering. There have been 2 this year and 13 last year! Deepwater Horizon resulted in the loss of 7 lives. Fukushima resulted in the loss of 0 lives. I really hope you do not drive a car while being anti-nuclear.

I hope you realise the dosage from a banana is much higher than the dosage from a nuclear power plant and the dosage from a coal power plant is far far higher than both.

• Marianne BirkbyMarianne Birkby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nuclear apologists are betraying the people of Belarus and Japan. In Minsk the government is authoritarian but people are protesting on the streets against nuclear power.

Windscale- Never Again? Chernobyl - Never Again? Fukushima- Never Again?

The definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same actions over and over again expecting a different outcome.

Never Again!

http://www.japantoday.com/category/national/view/17500-gather-for-tokyo-rallies-against-nuclear-plants

http://a3yo.noblogs.org/post/2009/05/06/protest-in-belarus-remembering-chernobyl-catastrophe-and-against-nuclear-power/

Today the chair of Cumbria Tourism led the protests against the dumping of high level nuclear wastes under his beloved Cumbria - ......in our dreams! The Chair of Cumbria Tourism owns the PR company cleverly promoting the diabolic dump plan - we will have to lead our own protests.

Jude, attaching emotions to such issues will yield no progression or favourable outcomes. They need to be treated rationally and logically and with perspective. I really do urge you to look at the sources I have provided. You and I know how important this is and I sincerely ask you learn more about the subject you are discussing.

You honestly do not believe that I insisting on more disasters. Really, read what I have written.

I hope you know that radiation is everywhere. Even our bodies are radioactive. Our bodies contain naturally occuring radioactive substances. Even food such as bananas are radioactive. Radiation is even used to treat cancers, to take x-rays, for brain scans.

The predicated deaths from both Chernobyl and Fukushima have not occurred. You are not going to dispute the fact that no-one has died from the Fukushima meltdown are you? You are not going to dispute the fact that certain animal species have actually increased their numbers at Chernobyl are you? You are not going to dispute the fact that Iranians living in Ramsar are living healthy lives are you? You are not going to deny that the world is experiencing an energy crisis are you?

There will be many deaths from the nuclear disaster, from drinking contaminated water, eating fish, breathing the air, swimming in the sea, just clearing up the mess! The trouble is they don't make the news because they will be over many years.
        Are you saying their deaths are acceptable?
        Money should be spent on renewables.
        Accusing me of being emotional doesn't phase me at all. Lots of people and animals dying is emotional. Destroying our planet is emotional. People die doing all sorts of things, but this is avoidable. There are other ways of keeping your lights on!

Yes indeed I do care about all the other disasters you mention, but why do you insist on making sure we have more of them???

This is a subject that we need to be emotional about!
        And I don't need to be "educated" (I'll thank you not to be insulting!) to know nuclear power is wrong and against nature. It's an emotional issue.
        Actually, I don't know anything about images of people mentioned, but we do need to see the reality of a situation instead of the sanitized version fed to us by those who want to keep us ignorant.

Jude - one of the points you make is that there are areas which have been rendered inhabitible by radiation. Are you going to forget about the swarths of land and oceans rendered lifeless by oil and chemical spills? Have you forgotten the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico already that happened almost exactly a year ago? Are you also going to conveniently ignore the fact that Chernobyl, as a result of the meltdown and subsequent reduction of human activity, now has seen wildlife flourish and now has become a focus on how animals can survive high doses of radiation? Something very absent from those areas devestated by oil spills.

And please, show me sources of where these thousands of deaths have occurred from nuclear power over the past 60 years because you and I know that this is simply not true at all. I hope you know that the meltdown of the Fukushima nuclear power plant has still not resulted in a single death since it happened over 7 weeks ago. Yet the tsunami itself has claimed over 14,000 lives!

If you are so concerned about the sanctity of human life, why are you not campaigning against coal mining which actually does claim hundreds and thousands of lives. And show me where I have claimed justification for the death of people? Again, this is not true either.

Jude, I have provided sources of information for you to allow yourself to learn more about something you are concerned about. These sources may even reinforce your stances but I urge you to atleast look at them considering you are campaigning on an extremely important issue.

We must not forgot that the world is currently in an energy crisis and the past 30 years have been dominated by countries securing ever decreasing energy resources with an ever increasing world population and need to power. The stark reality is, that renewable sources are no where near at the levels to create energy security globally over the long term future and there is simply not the resources to do so. I really don't think people can really comprehend the severity of the energy crisis and how much worse it is going to become when oil reserves plummet.

And Jude, nuclear weapons and nuclear reactors may use the same elements however there are fundamental differences between the two hence why nuclear power plants do not explode during operations and almost impossible for one to do so.

Marianne Birkby - it is wholly inappropiate to start emotionalise such issues. I find your inclusion of images of people affected by radiation fallout incredibly insulting to those victims. You should be ashamed of yourself for using them as means to justify your stances. What did you think by linking these images? Did you not think that these people have feelings and your belittling of their experiences as an argument against nuclear power is incredibly disrespectful?

And the same to you Jude. I find this sickening and offensive. How dare you people deride the suffering of others to further your agendas! What happened to the people in Chernobyl and Pripyat is sad and I feel so sorry for them that people are so disconnected that they are willing to use what these people went through to justify themselves.

There have been two spillages of radioactive waste and a breakdown in an emergency cooling system at Britain's nuclear plants in the last three months, according to a report to ministers leaked to the Guardian. A brown puddle containing plutonium five times the legal limit leaked from an old ventilation duct at the Sellafield nuclear complex in Cumbria. This exposed "a number! of shortfalls in the design", says the report. Groundwater at the Torness nuclear power station near Edinburgh was contaminated with radioactive tritium (an isotope of hydrogen) leaking from two pipelines. At Hartlepool nuclear station on the north-east coast of England, the backup cooling system was put out of action by a faulty valve.

Guardian 20th April 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/apr/20/radioactive-spills-breakdown-british-nuclear-plants

EnBW Energie Baden-Wuerttemberg AG (EBK) plans to spend about 8 billion euros ($11 billion) on renewable energy by 2020 to help plug a shortfall as Germany phases out nuclear power. The country’s third-largest utility will add about 3 gigawatts of renewable capacity to its 3.1 gigawatts in the next 10 years, Chief Executive Officer Hans-Peter Villis said today in a copy of speech handed to reporters in Karlsruhe, Germany, where shareholders are attending their annual meeting.

Thank you Marianne!
        MetricisBritish,Nuclear weapons would not be if it were not for nuclear power stations. IT'S THE SAME STUFF!
        You are treating us like idiots who know nothing and have no common sense. In my opinion it's the pro-nuclear lot who have no common sense.
        My comment stands, that great tracts of our planet are already contaminated and no-go areas because of nuclear accidents. I think you are saying that the thousands of deaths (not just the documented ones) are justifiable. Well, if you love nuclear power so much, why not build a reactor in your backyard? I hope you and your children really enjoy it! You probably won't have any grandchildren because everyone will have died of cancer, or radiation sickness from one of the inevitable accidents. All nuclear power stations have accidents....they just don't tell us about them.

Feedback and Knowledge Base