I suggest a campaign about ...

boycott chinese goods

1. Everyone enjoys the bargains imported from China but at what cost? The human cost is adults and children used as virtually slave labour. Closer to home thousands are left unemployed while corporations enjoy vast profits through cheap labour. Also don't forget the environmental cost as literally millions of tons of raw materials are extracted and transported vast distances, in order to feed the overwhelming colossus that is the Chinese state machine. Therefore I propose a campaign to boycott both chinese goods and food imports, in favour of locally produced substitutes.

6 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Don MunroDon Munro shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • johnjohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Mostly Chinese goods are cheap and tawdry. I suggest returning even the cheapest goods and creating a rucus at point of return, ie, talk loudly for all customers to hear and do not " come to the office" to discuss this. This will hit the purveyors in their pockets, help foul up their organisation, and possibly force changes in dealing with the public!

• John RobertsonJohn Robertson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

http://38degrees.uservoice.com/forums/78585-campaign-suggestions/suggestions/1519953-better-than-fair-trade-tariffs-against-despots is another angle. I'm shocked by how little the issues are debated - over valued currency in the UK, under-valued currency in China, failure of some developing nations to introduce human rights as they get richer, cheaper goods from countries without a welfare state. In China they are closing free hospitals as the state gets richer, rather than opening them, so our trade rewards the least democratic and the least well-run country. In contrast India at least has some kind of democracy but has trouble competing with China.

• Don MunroDon Munro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm starting another campaign in response to your criticism Bruce - Boycott all foreign imports for 1 month.

• Bruce DenneyBruce Denney commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about the adults and children in China who will become destitute and have to selling their bodies, organs, children?

The same claims can be made of goods from the entire Asian subcontinent, South America and Africa. Why pick on the Chinese? Have you got some grudge against them?

If you really want to be GREEN then just boycott goods, stop buying all the stuff regardless of where it comes from.

• Don MunroDon Munro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Poor chinese people might need work, but in my opinion I don't think we're doing them any favours buying cheap imports produced by people of all ages working in slave like sweat-shop factory conditions, who earn a pittance in return.

• jamie knightsjamie knights commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do this and we only hurt poor Chinese people who need a job.

Attack tax havenry right here in the UK and companies will have much less reason to want to offshore manual labour.

Remember capitalists want capital to be free but good and production to be tethered.

Feedback and Knowledge Base