I suggest a campaign about ...

Free glasses for people who need them just to function. .

Imagine waking every morning to a round blur (your partner's face), being unable to read your laptop from more than two inches away, being unable to see the bus properly let alone its number or destination...

The ability to see clearly is essential. The price you pay in order to do so is inexcusably very high indeed.

For those whose vision is severely impaired, the cost of glasses goes up exponentially depending on the complexity of your prescription. I was quoted £350 just for a pair of lenses recently, that's without the cost of the frame. The NHS will meet some of the cost of this - a very generous £3.75 (yes the decimal point comes after the 3). I had to ask about it, and even then the optician's staff weren't sure and didn't have the information anywhere on hand.

Bad news too if you're a Jobseeker or a pensioner, as you're still expected to pay virtually top whack.

Contrast this with IVF - expensive, optional and free on the NHS.

The poor-sighted need your help. It's time to put a stop to this unfair treatment. Please support this badly needed campaign idea.

4 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Karen LeytonKaren Leyton shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EmilyEmily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I remember the last time I bought some glasses and had the same thing. I'm a student which involes a lot of reading and computer time and without glasses I would not be able to do my work. This campaign doesn't have the following it deserves but when you think that without glasses people who need them would really be disabled and it's stupid that some people are denied treatment for something that is easily correctable because they can't afford to pay for it.

• viccxxviccxx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i think its rediculouse u have to pay for glasses ive been wearing them all my life, silly me thought that impared vision was a disability, ob not eh.....they give u a disability car which costs thousands of pounds but a pair of 70 quid glasses nahhhhh,,,, even thou they only cost about 10p to actually make,,ive just brought a pair off a web site cost me all of £6 thats with uv protection, anti dazzle and scratch resistant lenses as standard!!! yet other companies want to charge £5 for scratch £15 for anti dazzle and about £30 for uv protection,,,hmmmmmmm makes u think dont it!!!!!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base