I suggest a campaign about ...

Freeze UK-based Mubarak family assets

Urge the UK government to follow Switzerland's lead in freezing UK-based assets of the Mubarak family. The Guardian reports that Mubarak family fortune could reach $70 billion, some of which may be held in HBOS accounts, part of the Lloyds group which is 41% owned by the UK government.

That money must not be allowed to leave the UK and should be returned to Egypt in a proper and timely fashion..

Former foreign office minister Lord Malloch-Brown has urged the UK to act:

"I think it would be a very prudent thing to do to freeze suspicious accounts here because it will take a new government quite a while to mount some kind of legal claim on them."

Help return that money to its rightful owners: the people of Egypt.

268 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    TomElRumiTomElRumi shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anne MitcellAnne Mitcell commented  · 

The UK should act to freeze any suspicious accounts from any country and especially Egypt now that the people have voted.

• jamie knightsjamie knights commented  · 

What a surprise that it is our (UK) banks that have tucked away the money of another dictator/criminal/terrorists in a tax ahven in Jersey/Cayman Isles/etc

• Marcia Simpson-JamesMarcia Simpson-James commented  · 

These terrible dictators and tyrants have been holding their populations in fear and contempt for decades. Then they throw salt in the wound and attempt to steal monies that are ear-marked for the economic development of the people. Freeze all their assets, (including properties, cars, their wives accounts in shops, the childrens' school fees, etc). The only other thing I'd like to see is the contagion passing through Africa to their tyrants.

• Stephen  LuptonStephen Lupton commented  · 

It is generally acknowledged that Mubarak salted away a fortune from public funds. If some of this is stashed away in British Banks, it should be frozen until a legitimate , democratic government is elected.

• James McQuillanJames McQuillan commented  · 

Egyptians have faced all the protest breaking stratedgies even have had casualties.. their freedom is to come well earned now.

• nickysiannickysian commented  · 

To stand by and watch Mubarak steal $70 billion from the Egyptian people is not an option - the government needs to follow Switzerland's lead and show some genuine integrity for a change.

• A. MorelandA. Moreland commented  · 

Freeze this money so that it can be returned to the people of Egypt, to whom it properly belongs.

• S DavisS Davis commented  · 

up the revolution!!!

• Jo DavisJo Davis commented  · 

Freeze that money then return it to a democratically elected government in Egypt.

• JenJen commented  · 

We cannot be complicit in the theft of the people of Egypt's money. Return it to them, now!

• Fredrik WåhlstedtFredrik Wåhlstedt commented  · 

I ask the UK government to please freeze Hosni Mubaraks echonomic assates for the sake of Egypt and Egypts people!

• AngusAngus commented  · 

Freeze all Mubaraks assests and any other despot's hiding their loot in the UK banking system

• YaraYara commented  · 

Let the money go back to its rightful owners..the people of Egypt!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

This needs to happen very quickly. Probably yesterday.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base